It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp 2.10 features
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:33 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hello,

I'm interested what people know about the new features in the upcoming 2.10 version of Gimp.

* 16 / 32 bit depth: As a digital painter, I know that 16-bit depth creates more painterly colour blending. But it seemed that when I used this mode under Krita, it had a huge impact on performance. Would this be the same scenario with Gimp?

* OpenGL acceleration. This one interests me, because seemingly Gimp has trouble handling very large files. What aspect of OpenGL would improve Gimp. I'm assuming it relates to the performance of canvas rendering.

* Natural media brushes: This one isn't confirmed for 2.10, but appeared on the roadmap as a low priority. Anyone know any more about them?

I've tried the 2.9 beta on Windows, but the performance of the brush was too laggy to be usable. Though I like the new dark default theme.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp 2.10 features
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

GEGL will be completely embraced as well. What that entails is anyone's guess. I did remember an article where they figured out a work-a-round so that old GIMP plugins will still work (a wrapper if you will), but I'm not a coder so do not know how that's going to work once the GEGL engine replaces GTK+. Hope they figure out a way so that I can continue to use G'MIC, or I won't be using it (2.10x) much. :)

Psalm 109:8