It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice on Inpaint versions.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:37 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.10
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Beginner Level

I have used the Inpaint[patch-based] to great effect (and also Heal selection having recently downloaded the gimp-plugin-registry).
However, I see that there are three other versions of Inpaint - [diffusion], [holes], and [solidify].
I would appreciate some guidance on the uses for these.

david.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Advice on Inpaint versions.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:03 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

last time I had a brief search on your topic unable to figure out if this link would be helpful http://inpaintgimpplugin.github.io/
now I come back because that info was so fascinating to me that I couldn't forget.

would it work to remove this tree infront of the painting? to get the direct perspective (maybe I should post again with another example)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:24 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hello CodaAlFine,

My first effort would be to composite the wall art from the first image onto the second, using Gimp's perspective tool to work out the inverse perspective tilt and reverse scaling from the first to the second. You will bypass the effort of making a mask for the tree by largely burying it. You will pass a pleasant morning and early afternoon finding the right inverse perspective tilt and scaling, but you would easily spend as much time making a mask to remove the tree, only to have Inpaint resynthesize, perhaps less than perfectly, colors and tones that you already have in the first image. It will probably be necessary to color balance the patch, but the two images look like they were photographed pretty much at the same time and with the same camera, so I think that wouild not pose a great difficulty.

Inpaint will work well getting rid of the wire passing in front of the wall art in the first image. The wire mostly passes over flat color fields so Inpaint won't have to work too hard to resynthesize the area that the wire blocks. Inpaint will also help cleaning up the odd corner here and there after you composite the first (perspectively adjusted) image onto the second.

As for which Inpaint? They all trade speed for fidelity, with the best results (I think) coming from the patched-based inpaint. That is also the slowest, but there has been much work done in optimizing and parallelizing the underlying code, so, for 1.6.1.0, it is no longer that slow.

My 2 cents (American denomination).

Garry

EDIT:
My Inpaint observations concerned the G'MIC variants, housed in the Gimp-G'MIC plugin (Filters -> G'MIC) then from within the plugin Repair->Inpaint (there are a number of implementations). Robinson's inpaint is good too, but my overall approach remains the same, to wit: making a patch from the first to the second, and altering the patch with an inverse perspective transformation so that it looks like part of the second.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:25 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Odd. I tried to compile this into a 64 bit plug-in and the compile worked but i get an error running the GIMP start up (dll error). So i placed the executable in the GIMP program files/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins folder and got an 64 bit error. So i placed it in the 32 bits folder and then GIMP started but no plug-in for Inpaint under <Image>/Filters>Misc

Has this been compiled for 64 bit already?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

@Rod: try this.

Attachments:
inpaintgimpplugin-inpaintgimpplugin-fc767fb.zip [5.69 MiB]
Downloaded 1233 times
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:26 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks a bunch Onkel! Works excellent. :)
How did you compile? What was your configure line?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:47 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

my configure line:

./configure --prefix=/opt --target=x86_64-w64-mingw32 LDFLAGS="-mwindows" CPPFLAGS="-mwindows -I/libs/include -I/usr/include -I/mingw/include -I/usr/python/include" LIBS="-L/libs/lib -L/usr/lib -L/mingw/lib -L/usr/python/Lib"

It is a default line for plug-ins.
The plug-in makes use of gimptool and gimp libraries. Maybe yours are pointing to an older gimp?

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/opt/gimp-2.8_dev/lib/pkgconfig <- Where to find the libgimp(xx)-2.0-0.dll
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/gimp-2.8_dev/bin <- where to find gimptool-2.0.exe

Be sure, the current values are exported prior to ./configure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:21 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Re: inpaint.
I am confused.
There's a plug-in for Gimp which I compiled from source available at github.
Then there's 3 (!) G'mic plug-ins with the same name.
Haven't had time to experiment with either yet.
My question:which works better?
Gerard.

I use Linux only.
And Virtualbox with Win 7