It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with GIMP and Fractalius
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:54 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.6
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Fractalius

I bought and tried to install the "Fractalius" plug-in. When I click on install, it takes like a second and I get the message "installation complete". But when I restart GIMP, the plug-in isn't there.

I know that 'Fractalius" is for Photoshop, but I have installed it and use it on GIMP with no problem before.

Can someone help me with this, please?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Problem with GIMP and Fractalius
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:26 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Do you have PSPI installed? You need the PSPI plugin in order to use PS plugins in GIMP. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:36 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Do you have PSPI installed? You need the PSPI plugin in order to use PS plugins in GIMP. :)

I don't know. Where should I look? :) OK, I did a search, and yes it is there

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:47 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

When I tried to just copy the file to the plug-ins forder, I get "the program cant start libgimpui-2.0-0.dll is missing on your computer. Bu the libgimpui-2.0-0.dll is on the programs file folder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

It has to be in the same folder (a copy of it anyway) where you installed PSPI. :)

Jumped the gun when I replied. Should be located in two places if you have 64-bit GIMP (they have the same name, but, one's a 32-bit dll and the other's a 64-bit dll). Should have been installed when you actually installed GIMP. :)

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 13.16 KiB | Viewed 3030 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:40 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

It is there, in both folders, so I don't know why I'm getting the error message

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:53 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Have you tried Fractalius using a surrogate program like Irfanview or XNView? Maybe Rod can chime in since he's a huge Fractalius guy. He, by the way, is also the creator of Rodilius, a G'MIC preset which is even better then Fractalius if you ask me. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:43 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

No, I have not. I did dowload a trial version of Phtoshop Elements, and it works there. But I rather not buy it and use GIMP.

I have Rodilius installed, and I really like it, but I want to have both plug-ins for different things.

Thanks for replying Lyle :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:07 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Both programs mentioned are free netsu437. Maybe Rod will post his experiences with getting Fractalius to work in GIMP. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:45 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I do have Fractilius, although an old version, working with pspi in a linux installation. From the Redfield site, I see now up to version 2.something.

Some omissions from the OP's posts.

What flavour of Windows Win 7/8, 32/64 bit?
I gave a vanilla Win7 64bit / Gimp 2.8.14 a try.

Origin of pspi.exe ? Where did you get it from? Version of pspi.exe? I have a 1.0.3 in an archive, Just downloaded a 1.0.7 from a German site (virus total says it is ok) so I will use that one.

First of all pspi.exe, If that does not show at the bottom of the Filters menu, there is no use proceeding. Something wrong with the plugin or an external influence such as AV or it might just be in the wrong place. AFAIK pspi.exe will be a 32 bit executable. Put it in your regular C:\Users\name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins

Then the fractilius installation. Not much changed from my old version, except it comes as both 32/64 bit.

Quote:
..When I click on install, it takes like a second and I get the message "installation complete"...

OK. Where did you install it to? For this example, I used the standard Gimp profile plug-ins. IMHO not the best place, should have a dedicated 8bf folder, but WTH.

In the plugins folder, both 32 and 64 bit plugins. Disable the 64 bit version by tacking an x on the end.
Screw-ups, example here, the libtiff3.dll needed for the equally old separate+ plugin interferes with fractalius, so that had to be disabled as well :)

That done, I can go to the PS plugin settings and point pspi to the location of the plugin.

All that done and a restart of Gimp, does it work? yes it does.

Last edited by rich2005 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:21 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

When you install photoshop plug-ins you need to show GIMP and PSPI where they are.
For instance i have all my adobe plug-ins(8bf's) installed in a folder on my desktop. This folder is named 8bfs. Inside that folder are sub-folders for each plug-in author. Redfield is one. Inside the Redfield folder are all my Redfield plug-ins.

NOW - After you have an established place for your 8bf file open GIMP.If you are familiar with how Edit>Preferences>Folders> works you should be able to follow the next step.
1) Go to Filters>Photoshop Plug-in Settings and open the PSPI dialog.
2) Add the path to the Redfield plug-ins folder (where the 8bf resides).
3) Close and re-open GIMP.
The plug-in should now be under Filters>Redfield>Fractilus
I just recently purchased and installed Fractilus 2.29 and it does work with GIMP side by side with Fractilus 1.

Keep in mind you can only use the 32 bit plug-in as PSPI was never compiled as 64bit.
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:31 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

You can actually run both at the same time in GIMP. :)

I also just noticed Redfield spelled his name wrong in version 2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 am  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

duh; assumed the filter would be installed in his GIMP plugins folder. Forgot to mention about adding the path. Knew you would come through Rod. Cool info too Rich. I never did get Fractalius; was just too cheap. When Rod created Rodilius, I said to myself, glad I didn't. lol

:)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:02 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Never mind, I got it!!!!

I don't know what happened to the PSPI in the old GIMP version, I downloaded 2.8, posted the screenshot without checking (sorry :oops: )

I checked and saw the PSPI file was missing, so I downloaded and installed it, added the path, and VOILA!

Thank you all so much, I would have never gotten this by myself.

You guys ROCK! :clap
--------------------------------------------------

Guys, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, but I had a medical appointment and I could not post until now.

Thank you for all your help, but as you can see from my screenshot, my GIMP doesn't have that "photoshop plug-ins" settings" on my filters menu. I even installed GIMP 2.8 to see if it was there, but nothing.

Attachment:
screenshot.png
screenshot.png [ 188.51 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:15 am  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

Cool; glad you got it to work. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:39 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

Good to see you got it working. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:03 pm  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

Attachment:
screen.png
screen.png [ 213.33 KiB | Viewed 1306 times ]
The program is working great, just one funny thing...I'm getting this error messages whenever I start GIMP. The program and the filters work fine, so I don't mind, realy, but it's strange

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:34 pm  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah; the pspirc file could have some corruption. If you can tolerate the error, I would just close the window. Sometimes you can delete the file and it will re-create it but then again, you might find other plugins not working right. Even sometimes, you have to edit the file manually for plugins like EyeCandy and Impressionist to work; not for the faint of heart but Rob A taught me how and I sometimes have to do just that when Impressionist gets hosed (every so often, for no apparent reason, it does). Link below for more background on the matter. Don't delete this file before backing it up if you want to try that, but I wouldn't if I was you. :)

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24977

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:38 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Lyle. I think I'll just leave it alone.

My motto is , "Don't fix it if it ain't broke" :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:05 am  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
Yeah; the pspirc file could have some corruption. If you can tolerate the error, I would just close the window. Sometimes you can delete the file and it will re-create it but then again, you might find other plugins not working right. Even sometimes, you have to edit the file manually for plugins like EyeCandy and Impressionist to work; not for the faint of heart but Rob A taught me how and I sometimes have to do just that when Impressionist gets hosed (every so often, for no apparent reason, it does). Link below for more background on the matter. Don't delete this file before backing it up if you want to try that, but I wouldn't if I was you. :)

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24977

Hi Lyle. I found that adding any new Adobe plug-in to the pspirc will usually fault Impressionist and cause you to re add the entry point variable again. :) Just a heads up as to why. Impressionist apparently doesn't play well with others. :lol