It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Move Tool Won't Move an Image
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:05 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.10.3
GIMP Experience: New User

Hi,

I am having a problem moving an image. I have a few images that I need to collect into one and arrange, etc. I first opened each and made a versions that were better for what I need to do, basically just made them have transparent backgrounds, and saved them all as .xcf files. I then made a new image where I want to put them all. When I drag them in, I can move all of them except one. I even tried saving it as a .png and using that, but the one image will not move. It goes to the centre of the picture when I drag it in and stays there. I have the right layer selected, I have tried select all and manually selecting parts, and that doesn't work either.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

Grimey

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Move Tool Won't Move an Image
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:45 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

grimey: hmm, it's hard to say without seeing the xcf of what you're working on, but i can think of some things that mess it up for me with the move tool. first, if a selection is active - the selection can be very small and nearly invisible, it still keeps the move tool from functioning. second, if i have guides in the target image and "snap to guides" checked. then the layer i try to move will stay snapped to the guide and it's very hard to get it where i want it. would any of these two apply for your image?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:51 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

It could be the layer boundary.
Activate the Layer, Context menu > Alpha to Selection, Layer menu > Crop to Selection.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:27 pm  (#4) 

Hey! I figured it out! It seems like a bit of a bizarre behaviour to me, but I am not a Gimp power-user by any means. Seems you can't drag an image if you clicked on a transparent area, even if it's in the selected region. Maybe this should have been obvious to me!
Thanks for your fast replies! Cheers!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:55 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

Grimey wrote:
Hey! I figured it out! It seems like a bit of a bizarre behaviour to me, but I am not a Gimp power-user by any means. Seems you can't drag an image if you clicked on a transparent area, even if it's in the selected region. Maybe this should have been obvious to me!
Thanks for your fast replies! Cheers!

This is an option in the Move tool, you have either "Pick a layer or guide" where the Move tool moves the first layer that isn't transparent where you click (default behavior) or "Move the active layer". You can momentarily force the other behavior by pressing the shift key.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:42 pm  (#6) 

Oh! Cool! Okay! Thanks for the tip!