It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nail Polish Gloss & Shine Effect
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct spot, but as the subject states I am asking how to do a nail polish gloss and shine effect. I have spent countless hours browsing online as well as countless hours experimenting and trying to do it myself, but with no luck I have not got the look I want. I need help learning how to do a light glossy look on the base of the nail, as well as adding some natural looking shine to it.

Here are a few examples of the look I want to go for as a shine aspect on my nails...

These are the general ideas of the effect I am trying to create :paint

I have basic shading down as well as textures for my nails, the shine is something that I just can't get the hang of and have come to a complete standstill with continuing with my nail polish that I want to create.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Nail Polish Gloss & Shine Effect
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:13 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You can try Graechan's plastic or glass script-fu on a sample nail. :)

http://gimpscripts.com/2012/10/plastic-or-glass/

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:45 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

something like this maybe?
Original

Edited.

If you like it, this is what i did.
1) I made a selection to just select the nail, feather selection by 5 px (depends on your image size i guess).
2) use the Smudge tool to smudge from the normal parts of nail toward to tip to get make the tip of nail same color as the rest of the nail and smudged inward from normal parts of nail into the whiter base part of nail to get rid of the white at the base of the nail.
3) Bump the contrast up to like 55
4) Colorized and selected the hue i wanted.
5) Created new layer (Set this new layer mode to Soft-light) and use only pure black to paint to darken parts of nail, and pure white to brighten parts of the nail in whatever weird shape the shiniest spots might be.

Leave the selection in step one throughout all the steps...I cleared the selection when i did this so my step 5 isn't perfect as you can see flaws around the edges...but it should look a lot better if you keep performing work on your selection only.

It's kind'a fun...so i did a 4th nail.

Last edited by trandoductin on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:57 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

lylejk wrote:
You can try Graechan's plastic or glass script-fu on a sample nail. :)

I put some form of script-fu on my gimp but it doesn't have many things on it. I was a bit confused when putting this in my gimp as is, I am unsure how to get this to work because I am not sure how the whole script thing works :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:03 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

trandoductin wrote:
something like this maybe?
Original
[ Image ]

Edited.
[ Image ]

If you like it, this is what i did.
1) I made a selection to just select the nail, feather selection by 5 px (depends on your image size i guess).
2) use the Smudge tool to smudge from the normal parts of nail toward to tip to get make the tip of nail same color as the rest of the nail and smudged inward from normal parts of nail into the whiter base part of nail to get rid of the white at the base of the nail.
3) Bump the contrast up to like 55
4) Colorized and selected the hue i wanted.
5) Created new layer (Set this new layer mode to Soft-light) and use only pure black to paint to darken parts of nail, and pure white to brighten parts of the nail in whatever weird shape the shiniest spots might be.

Leave the selection in step one throughout all the steps...I cleared the selection when i did this so my step 5 isn't perfect as you can see flaws around the edges...but it should look a lot better if you keep performing work on your selection only.

It's kind'a fun...so i did a 4th nail.
[ Image ]

I am trying this right now ty ^^