It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Frayed / pixelated Edges
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:56 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 8.1
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Custom installation, no plug-in added so far

Hello guys and girls,

first I want to apologize for my English, but I am no native speaker...

I am pretty new to the GIMP world but so far I could solve all problems through searches in forums and youtube. But regarding my current problem I am completely stuck...

Out of nowhere suddenly the edges of a selection that I make are frayed. And if I want to fill that selection with a certain color, the filling goes over the edges of the selection and on other parts doesnt reach the edges of the selection.

I attached an image to show you what I am talking about. On the right side there is an object that I created through the use of a selection and the filling of that selection. Everything is good there. But on the left side you see what my problem is. What I really dont understand is how that happened...

What i tried so far is restoring the default settings for all the tools. That didnt work... Then I reinstalled the entire programm, but with no sucess either...

BTW: I tried it on different pictures, on old GIMP projects and on completely new pictures. It is always the same...

I have no idea what to do now... I hope you guys can help me!!

Thank you in advance.

Greetz Dominic

Attachments:
Frayed.JPG
Frayed.JPG [ 39.36 KiB | Viewed 2946 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Frayed / pixelated Edges
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:20 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

You tried select the affected area with "Fill whole selection"? Or tried on white background? This may be the effect of "Fill similar colors" with threshold 15 (default) as your background is not of the same color.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:50 am  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
This seems to have something to do with a previous selection that was made and filled. If you're trying to create an elliptical selection, why not use the ellipse selection tool? :elipse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 am  (#4) 
Retired Staff

In the Ellipse Select Tool options, make sure antialiasing is checked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:26 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

okyl168 wrote:
You tried select the affected area with "Fill whole selection"? Or tried on white background? This may be the effect of "Fill similar colors" with threshold 15 (default) as your background is not of the same color.

Thanks for all your answers!!!

But I filled it with the setting "Fill whole selection"... So that seems not to be the problem.

Last edited by Dominic on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:28 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
This seems to have something to do with a previous selection that was made and filled. If you're trying to create an elliptical selection, why not use the ellipse selection tool? :elipse

For the selection in my attached image I used the elliptical selection tool...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:33 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Oregonian wrote:
In the Ellipse Select Tool options, make sure antialiasing is checked.

That setting is also checked in the ellipse selection tool.

I am pretty sure that there is a problem in my system... I just did a reinstall again, this time with renaming the old profile so that a new one is created... No success. Is it possible that my (dot)NET framework got corrupted? It is just an idea cause it told somewhere in the installation info that (dot)NET is required...

Maybe I reinstall that too...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

Gimp does not require any .NET modules or "framework" for standard use.

When you describe this as a "Custom installation, no plug-in added so far", where precisely did you get this Gimp from ?!!
If you got it from any source other than the official site (http://www.gimp.org/downloads) that could very well be the root of your problems!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:24 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

jontait2 wrote:
Gimp does not require any (dot)NET modules or "framework" for standard use.

When you describe this as a "Custom installation, no plug-in added so far", where precisely did you get this Gimp from ?!!
If you got it from any source other than the official site that could very well be the root of your problems!

Thanks for that hint as well, but "unfortunately" I downloaded Gimp from the official site. I even made a new download yesterday cause I thought that maybe the exe got damaged, but that didnt help either...

Man, if it definetly is not (dot)NET I am running out of options :(

(I had to delete the links and the dot before the NET cause I got that message from the forum: "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs. " :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:11 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Hey, it seems that the problem is solved... kind of...

It seems that the problem occurred cause I had the bucket mode setting "dissolve" activated (I am not sure if this is the correct translation, it is the second mode right under "normal").

I am writing that the probem is solved "kind of" because I am absolutely sure, that I used that exact setting for the editing in this picture and also for other pictures before...

So I still dont get it, why this turned up out of a sudden...

I want to apologize for the hassle cause apparently my problem was kind of "self made"!

Thank you guys for your effort!

Greetz Dominic