It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PNG Alpha Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:45 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Ok, new to Gimp, so I probably got something wrong, even though I scoured youtube and the forums here for a solution. I'm trying to make an alpha background on a picture so I can transfer it to another program, a game, which allows custom crests, that have to be saved in a png format. Problem is, though I can get an alpha background to work beautifully in the gimp program, once I export it to a png format, the white background returns, ruining the work I put into it and, overall, the desired effect of just the picture and not the harsh white block. I've been at this for hours trying to figure this out with a multitude of 'solutions' that just have not worked.

I've tried adding a second alpha layer, I've tried ticking and unticking various options in the finalize 'save to png' mini window, I've tried using the lasso, the wand, the eraser, cutting/copying the picture itself to a new task with an already set alpha background... all my results end up the same. The Png picture has a white background though in Gimp it's an alpha. What am I doing wrong?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: PNG Alpha Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:52 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Sounds like your program doesn't recognize alpha channels for PNG if you are indeed saving the PNG with alpha channel in place (not flattened). Still, just in case, make sure you have box checked for save color information of transparent pixels. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:55 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

As a side note, before saving your PNG file, make sure you see an image that looks like the following (with the grid pattern in the background indicating your image indeed has transparent pixels). :)

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 424.04 KiB | Viewed 3152 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:15 pm  (#4) 

Gimp shows me a checkered background, which I assumed to be an alpha transparency. I first use the wand, left click the area I want in alpha, go to Layer => Transparancy => Add Alpha Channel. After this I delete the background, making it alpha, and save the work in .xcf (to back up my steps). Once I try to export it to .png, I get a white background every time. This is my first time using Gimp (Go figure I'd be trying something relatively advanced, lol), so most of the jargon is alien to me. If someone can break it down into laymans terms, would be great... and I know my .png files accept alpha as I've several .png files a friend of mine has sent me with alpha backgrounds.

And thank you very much for the prompt response.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:32 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Be sure that in the pop up box, when you 'export' as png, that you uncheck the save background box.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:36 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
You didn't mention if you've tried the image in the game that the image was made for.

Also, if you exported the image as a PNG with a transparent alpha channel, as seen in Lyle's example image showing a transparent alpha channel, then open your image to review it using Windows Photo Viewer. It will appear as though it doesn't have an alpha channel or with a white background.

You also haven't explained how it is that you know that the alpha channel of your image doesn't retain it's transparency.

Can you post the xcf, or the PNG image as it was exported using Gimp, so we can examine it to see if indeed that it does or doesn't contain a transparent alpha channel.

Can you tell us if the image below contains a transparent alpha channel?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:04 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

I have noticed only recently that the backgrounds I have in my :fg2bg set too seems to be showing up in what I was exporting as a png. They might look alpha when I export etc but when I upload to 'Flickr' they are not. (Only place I have seen this so far.) Never used to happen.
Maybe I should check the export box....it has been saving fine till recently.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:20 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

sallyanne wrote:
I have noticed only recently that the backgrounds I have in my :fg2bg set too seems to be showing up in what I was exporting as a png. They might look alpha when I export etc but when I upload to 'Flickr' they are not. (Only place I have seen this so far.) Never used to happen.

I don't know anything about Flickr and can't say I know why when saving an image as a PNG with transparency that this might be happening. Have you tried to change the foreground and background colors in the dialog, to other then black and white to confirm this?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:37 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Wallace wrote:
sallyanne wrote:

I don't know anything about Flickr and can't say I know why when saving an image as a PNG with transparency that this might be happening. Have you tried to change the foreground and background colors in the dialog, to other then black and white to confirm this?

The background colour it did it with was pink - I was having a 'pink' stage
EDIT:-
The same pictures still have alpha backgrounds but changed when uploaded

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:05 pm  (#10) 
Administrator

sallyanne wrote:
Wallace wrote:
sallyanne wrote:

The background colour it did it with was pink - I was having a 'pink' stage
EDIT:-
The same pictures still have alpha backgrounds but changed when uploaded
[ Image ]
[ Image ]

I've read that Flickr has a funny way of handling PNG images with transparency. Could this have anything to do with this Flickr issue you're having?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:07 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Actually it has happened to a lot of my graphics there recently since they change their site. Was fine before. Waiting for an answer why.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:10 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:

It's because, unless you click the original rez option, Flickr converts all lower rez images to jpegs Sallyanne. That is why sometimes I link only the original result if I need the PNG file. Below's an example of one of my renders that will explain it all.

Main page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/34520999@ ... ateposted/

HiRez is shown with white background but that's the browser choice; it's actually now transparent: https://www.flickr.com/photos/34520999@ ... 2/sizes/o/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:12 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Thanks Lyle
I just got this back from there
Flickr doesn't display formats that have an alpha channel natively (tiff, png, etc.) it converts those to jpg, and that means killing transparency. You're better off doing your own conversions, so you can decide what background color you want.

I guess you already asked about this or found out for yourself.