It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: XCF Colorings?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:40 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

Does anyone know how to create XCF coloring, know how to save it and where to upload it? I've checked tumblr and youtube and there aren't many tutorials on how to create XCF colorings so I thought I would try here.

Thanks,
Mackenzie

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: XCF Colorings?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:13 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mackenzieh wrote:
Does anyone know how to create XCF coloring, know how to save it and where to upload it? I've checked tumblr and youtube and there aren't many tutorials on how to create XCF colorings so I thought I would try here.

Thanks,
Mackenzie

What do you mean by "XCF coloring"?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:52 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

mackenzieh wrote:

Thanks,
Mackenzie
Is this what you mean, How to use an XCF coloring [GIMP TUTORIAL]?
This tutorial does not fully explain the concept but if you look at the example image(s) layers it might help. Also, the tutorial mentions levels when it should be layers.

I've attached a file with both images from the tutorial imported in layers, the first image is the bottom layer, all other layers are from the XCF coloring file. Two layers from the coloring image were removed (as per the authors instructions), note the B/W layer is initially off. I did not resize the XCF coloring image to highlight the difference.

Attachments:
xcf-coloring-40HKm.xcf.bz2 [514.97 KiB]
Downloaded 87 times

Spirit Bear (Kermode)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:25 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

Thanks,
Mackenzie

What do you mean by "XCF coloring"?

Like this: http://xcf-coloring.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:34 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
mackenzieh wrote:

Thanks,
Mackenzie
Is this what you mean, How to use an XCF coloring [GIMP TUTORIAL]?
This tutorial does not fully explain the concept but if you look at the example image(s) layers it might help. Also, the tutorial mentions levels when it should be layers.

I've attached a file with both images from the tutorial imported in layers, the first image is the bottom layer, all other layers are from the XCF coloring file. Two layers from the coloring image were removed (as per the authors instructions), note the B/W layer is initially off. I did not resize the XCF coloring image to highlight the difference.

No, I checked out that tutorial. It's not what I'm looking for. I only found 2 on Tumblr but I got lost with what do with the layers at the end. The tutorials I found were: http://fy-gimp.tumblr.com/post/40986523 ... d-coloring
& this one: http://absolute-gimp.tumblr.com/post/32 ... making-xcf

It's like both tutorials just stopped dead in their tracks with no further explanation & since I don't have a tumblr account to comment on either of them, I tried searching elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:18 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

I sill don't get it. Why is it called XCF coloring?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:23 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

The only difference I can see from my link and your second link is the number of layers. From what I can tell from those links and a few YouTube videos (in language I didn't understand) the concept seems; use multiple colored layers with arbitrary stacking and modes. The consistent being the colored layers with possible matching tints and shades. In that case you could call them any file extension (XCF, PSD, etc.) Coloring, as long as it supports layers in your graphics editor. I noticed many XCF Coloring files at DeviantArt, download a few and examine the layers.

Of course there's a good chance I'm totally out to lunch. :puzzled

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:27 pm  (#8) 
Administrator

Odinbc wrote:
The only difference I can see from my link and your second link is the number of layers. From what I can tell from those links and a few YouTube videos (in language I didn't understand) the concept seems; use multiple colored layers with arbitrary stacking and modes. The consistent being the colored layers with possible matching tints and shades. In that case you could call them any file extension (XCF, PSD, etc.) Coloring, as long as it supports layers in your graphics editor. I noticed many XCF Coloring files at DeviantArt, download a few and examine the layers.

:hehe

This is the first I've ever heard of this. It seems like you're just adding color layers and using different layer-modes for the color layers.
I guess if I use a PNG image for this, I could call it PNG Coloring. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:25 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
I sill don't get it. Why is it called XCF coloring?

I don't know. I guess that's the term used for gimp colorings and because of the file extension.

Last edited by mackenzieh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:33 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:

No, you're right and I saw the youtube video and I couldn't understand it either. I guess after the color layers are created, they aren't flattened and that's what I didn't get, but I think I kind of do now after I saw what the layers do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:44 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

IIRC, they used to use this a lot on the gimp talk tutorials for signatures...but they called it a different name that I cannot remember. It was using different layers each with a different gradient or tint, and the different modes for each layer to get the effect they wanted.

*well, I was going to search around in gimp talk, but it seems my account has been suspended. sheesh, I rarely go on there anymore. I did visit there last week, and my account was fine then.