It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can I make print book covers professionally in GIMP (without CMYK)?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I was in another forum and someone was extolling Photoshop over GIMP. She said the main reason to go Photoshop was because it could do CMYK and GIMP couldn't, and you have to do CMYK to have professional print book covers. (She said GIMP was fine for digital covers on Amazon and such.)

I'm no expert with the whole color format stuff. (I didn't even know there was such a thing as CMYK.) What I need to know is if I can make professional quality print book covers with GIMP. (I know there are some plug-ins around that will effectuate work-arounds but I don't know if they really work and create professional quality results.) Can I?

Thanks.

P.S. Would positively hate to give up GIMP. :(

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can I make print book covers professionally in GIMP (without CMYK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:35 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

If CMYK is a concern using Gimp; in your design use a color scheme based on the (16,777,216 color) web palette.
Here's an excellent introduction to using color schemes: Color Theory For Designers: Creating Your Own Color Palettes

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

Post subject: Re: Can I make print book covers professionally in GIMP (without CMYK)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:43 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
If CMYK is a concern using Gimp; in your design use a color scheme based on the (16,777,216 color) web palette.
Here's an excellent introduction to using color schemes: Color Theory For Designers: Creating Your Own Color Palettes

Thanks Odinbc. Nice link. That Adobe color wheel is amazing. I searched the article though for CMYK and came up blank. (The article seemed to be mostly about custom color schemes.) And I was still wondering about my question of 'will I be able to do the print covers of professional quality with GIMP?' (I'm not particularly concerned with how at this point.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:01 am  (#4) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Here's a link that describes the differences between RGB versus CMYK.

http://www.printernational.org/rgb-versus-cmyk.php

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:36 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

iggy wrote:
Thanks Odinbc. Nice link. That Adobe color wheel is amazing. I searched the article though for CMYK and came up blank. (The article seemed to be mostly about custom color schemes.) And I was still wondering about my question of 'will I be able to do the print covers of professional quality with GIMP?' (I'm not particularly concerned with how at this point.)
I mentioned in Gimp to use a color scheme based on a web palette, that will give you the best chance at compatibility with a CYMK printer. The linked article is about making and using your own color schemes and palettes. With a basic understanding of color theory when you choose colors CMYK becomes less of an issue for you and more relevant for the printer.

In a response to one of your previous post I mentioned Gimp Color Management. If your worried about true color you should be using color management. Also get Separate+ plug-in. The Separate+ feature you might find most useful is Softproofing. To use it properly you need to set up Gimp Color Management.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:29 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

iggy: i'll start with this general advice for you: this forum is full of threads with info on all the things you've asked about so far. before you ask about anything, do an advanced search on the site and you will usually find threads with the info you're after! happens to me all the time, and saves me from having to make a new post and then watching it for peoples replies.

that said:
1. you don't have to give up gimp. using gimp you don't have built in CMYK support, but if you plan your work ahead and are prepared to put down the effort, you will still get professional looking results.
2. i found a good thread for you where someone else was given lots of good advice on this subject. read it through, if you find it hard to understand you can always come back to this thread and ask for help with where you got stuck :)! need to make images in CMYK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:13 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
Here's a link that describes the differences between RGB versus CMYK.

http://www.printernational.org/rgb-versus-cmyk.php

Thanks Wallace. Good article.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:20 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Odinbc wrote:
iggy wrote:
I mentioned in Gimp to use a color scheme based on a web palette, that will give you the best chance at compatibility with a CYMK printer. The linked article is about making and using your own color schemes and palettes. With a basic understanding of color theory when you choose colors CMYK becomes less of an issue for you and more relevant for the printer.

In a response to one of your previous post I mentioned Gimp Color Management. If your worried about true color you should be using color management. Also get Separate+ plug-in. The Separate+ feature you might find most useful is Softproofing. To use it properly you need to set up Gimp Color Management.

Okay, cool. Thanks. At this point I'm just glad to know that I can do print covers. I watched a video on color management. It looks do-able.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:28 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
iggy: i'll start with this general advice for you: this forum is full of threads with info on all the things you've asked about so far. before you ask about anything, do an advanced search on the site and you will usually find threads with the info you're after! happens to me all the time, and saves me from having to make a new post and then watching it for peoples replies.

Yes, I needed that advice. This stuff all seems so esoteric to me but to you guys it's commonplace. Will do.
AnMal wrote:
that said:
1. you don't have to give up gimp. using gimp you don't have built in CMYK support, but if you plan your work ahead and are prepared to put down the effort, you will still get professional looking results.
2. i found a good thread for you where someone else was given lots of good advice on this subject. read it through, if you find it hard to understand you can always come back to this thread and ask for help with where you got stuck :)! need to make images in CMYK

Yes. Work will need to be put in. (Just not yet--LOL!) Thanks for the link (someone in it said "Oh dear, can-of-worms time.") LOL. I bookmarked it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:45 pm  (#10) 
Script Coder

I'll give you one big suggestion: Ask your print house.

Almost every print house I have dealt with is quite happy to perform their own CMYK separations as they know the colour profiles of their equipment best.

As long as you have a properly colour calibrated display, feel free to work in RGB knowing that you may have out of gamut issues so use the built in tools for checking: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-pimping.ht ... management

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:42 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

RobA wrote:
I'll give you one big suggestion: Ask your print house.

I don't have a print house! LOL!
RobA wrote:
Almost every print house I have dealt with is quite happy to perform their own CMYK separations as they know the colour profiles of their equipment best.

As long as you have a properly colour calibrated display, feel free to work in RGB knowing that you may have out of gamut issues so use the built in tools for checking: http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-pimping.ht ... management

-Rob A>

I'm probably at some point going to use Createspace (to make the paperbacks of my ebooks). When it comes time I'll come back and re-examine that link you included. And probably ask some more questions. LOL Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:37 pm  (#12) 
Script Coder

iggy wrote:
use Createspace (to make the paperbacks of my ebooks). When it comes time I'll come back and re-examine that link you included. And probably ask some more questions. LOL Thanks!

There a bunch of discussions in the createspace community forums. Just search for CMYK. Looks like it is a pretty divisive topic :P

-Rob A>