It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Will this layers plug-in aid in making ebook covers?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:50 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

I ran across this (see attachment) Is that something that is going to substantially aid in crispening text and things like that? (And do I really need it? The default in 2.8 already has Dropshadows and "Add Bevel.") Should I get it? And if so, is that one with the arrow the one I want? And then would it go into the .gimp2.8 Script or Plug-in folder? (I've installed fonts and they're so easy. Would this install be just as easy? ie. Download the file and plop it in the appropriate folder in .gimp2.8) Thank you.

Attachments:
Selection_009.png
Selection_009.png [ 104.36 KiB | Viewed 2414 times ]

Post subject: Re: Will this layers plug-in aid in making ebook covers?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:55 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
The more functionality you have with Gimp the better.
It's a very popular plugin, that seems to have some of the same functions as do other filters. There are slight differences in the filters provided by it.

You are correct. That would be the right plugin to download and to install it, you would need to place it into the plugins folder.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:45 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

iggy: the layer effects plug-in (the .py version) is often a time saver when you want to make things like bevels and outlines and simple coloured overlay effects, so that way it could certainly be an aid, but it is in no way necessary. i already recommended esper's old text effect tutorials to you, they are good for getting an idea of what the plug-in actually does and if you want more control over the process that's good to know. just go to the tutorials index here on gimp chat and search by author for "esper".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:42 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
It's a very popular plugin, that seems to have some of the same functions as do other filters. There are slight differences in the filters provided by it.

You are correct. That would be the right plugin to download and to install it, you would need to place it into the plugins folder.

Thanks Wallace. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:55 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

AnMal wrote:
iggy: the layer effects plug-in (the .py version) is often a time saver when you want to make things like bevels and outlines and simple coloured overlay effects, so that way it could certainly be an aid, but it is in no way necessary. i already recommended esper's old text effect tutorials to you, they are good for getting an idea of what the plug-in actually does and if you want more control over the process that's good to know. just go to the tutorials index here on gimp chat and search by author for "esper".

Thanks AnMal. I went over that tutorial when you first recommended it. It was great but more than I was looking to do with the text. I'm going to get the plug-in and experiment with it.

I went to your website. So interesting! Lovely work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:

Okay, I downloaded it and put it in plug-ins. Where do I find it in GIMP?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

iggy wrote:
...Okay, I downloaded it and put it in plug-ins. Where do I find it in GIMP?

If it is installed correctly, you should find it at the bottom of the layer menu.
It is also there as a right-click context entry in the layers dialog.

Attachment:
layer_effects.jpg
layer_effects.jpg [ 105.77 KiB | Viewed 2264 times ]

Remember, the clue is in the name, this is for use on layers.

Normally to find a script/plugin, use Help -> Plugin Browser and enter part of the plugin name. That gives location details. LayerFX is a bit strange in that it does not show up there (easily)

Attachment:
plugin_browser.jpg
plugin_browser.jpg [ 56.31 KiB | Viewed 2264 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:49 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

iggy wrote:
I went to your website. So interesting! Lovely work!

thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:39 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
iggy wrote:
...Okay, I downloaded it and put it in plug-ins. Where do I find it in GIMP?

If it is installed correctly, you should find it at the bottom of the layer menu.
It is also there as a right-click context entry in the layers dialog.

Attachment:
The attachment layer_effects.jpg is no longer available

Remember, the clue is in the name, this is for use on layers.

Normally to find a script/plugin, use Help -> Plugin Browser and enter part of the plugin name. That gives location details. LayerFX is a bit strange in that it does not show up there (easily)

Attachment:
The attachment plugin_browser.jpg is no longer available

Thanks Rich. I don't think I have it. I'm a little confused because it shows I downloaded the 'reverse layer affect' recently but the last thing on my drop-down menu from the Layers button is Auto Crop Layer. And all the 'reverse layer' does is reverse the layers (oddly enough--lol). I'm attaching screenshots.

Attachments:
Selection_012.png
Selection_012.png [ 33.21 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]
Selection_011.png
Selection_011.png [ 80.48 KiB | Viewed 2230 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:00 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I spy xubuntu ;)

First check that python is there. Filters -> Python-Fu -> Console
If you have something like this - good, now close that window and forget about it. Python plugins are run from the Gimp menu structure.

Most probable cause is the python file is not set as executable. In the file manager right-click, choose properties, set read writes as required, set as executable.

Start Gimp and it should be there.

Now a question for you :)
Why is there a gmic debian (.deb) package lurking in your ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder?
1. Not the place for it, maybe Downloads would be better.
2. Never going to run as a plugin
3. It is the stand-alone package, you need to install the gimp-gmic plugin

You can install via synaptic

IMHO Once you get into the way of linux, a better way is download the zipped gmic-gimp file
http://gmic.eu/files/latest/gmic_gimp_linux64.zip
unzip to your gimp profile ~/gimp-2.8/plug-ins (~ is linux shortcut to /home/"yourname")
Unlike windows it is a single file gmic_gimp and the permissions are already set for you by the kind people at gmic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:29 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
I spy xubuntu ;)

First check that python is there. Filters -> Python-Fu -> Console
[ Image ]
If you have something like this - good, now close that window and forget about it. Python plugins are run from the Gimp menu structure.

Most probable cause is the python file is not set as executable. In the file manager right-click, choose properties, set read writes as required, set as executable.
[ Image ]

Start Gimp and it should be there.
[ Image ]

Now a question for you :)
Why is there a gmic debian (.deb) package lurking in your ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder?
1. Not the place for it, maybe Downloads would be better.
2. Never going to run as a plugin
3. It is the stand-alone package, you need to install the gimp-gmic plugin

You can install via synaptic
[ Image ]

IMHO Once you get into the way of linux, a better way is download the zipped gmic-gimp file
http://gmic.eu/files/latest/gmic_gimp_linux64.zip
unzip to your gimp profile ~/gimp-2.8/plug-ins (~ is linux shortcut to /home/"yourname")
Unlike windows it is a single file gmic_gimp and the permissions are already set for you by the kind people at gmic.

Rich! You're a life saver! Thanks. Yeah, that (checking the executable thing) did it. (They don't tell you these things.) So the layer effects tool works--and what a tool! That is just awesome, esp. the preview feature. That is going to improve my stuff and save me so much time.

Okay the alien thing in the plug-ins folder. When I installed GMIC it was a mess. I tried every which way, including the terminal and couldn't get it. (I still don't know how it's installed.) So I knew that GMIC deb file didn't belong there but GMIC was working so I left it there.

So, should I just delete that deb file? Part of me is like it's working so maybe I should just leave it there.

And I somehow got two Image Magick (display Q16) entries in my application menu. When I click on them nothing happens.

Yes, I was the mad scientist there for a while trying to install GMIC.

Thanks for bailing me out again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:44 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

First that .deb file. What you have is gmic_ubuntu_vivid_amd64.deb which is the standalone (command-line) version of gmic. What you need for a manual installation is this file, gmic_gimp_linux64.zip which unzips to the gimp plugin.

If you have gmic working, ie. a gmic entry bottom of the filters menu, then you have installed gmic some other way. As a minimum move the .deb out of the plugins folder, if gmic is working in Gimp, delete it.

If you installed gmic from the ubuntu repo (via synaptic maybe) then it ends up in your root folders.
screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/W2t8Is9.jpg IMHO not the best place for it, should be in your Gimp profile.

This is a video showing Gimp installation and file structure in (a) linux. http://youtu.be/U02lm64tnCQ Have a look at it once, then get back to the main purpose, making better ebook covers. ;)

Imagemagick is essentially a command line application. You should get a menu entry and it should open something like this http://i.imgur.com/GbGvZCY.jpg Click in the window to get that menu. If you do not get that, check that IM is installed, open a terminal and use any of the IM comands, usually convert -version If that does not work you need to remove and re-install.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
First that .deb file. What you have is gmic_ubuntu_vivid_amd64.deb which is the standalone (command-line) version of gmic. What you need for a manual installation is this file, gmic_gimp_linux64.zip which unzips to the gimp plugin.

If you have gmic working, ie. a gmic entry bottom of the filters menu, then you have installed gmic some other way. As a minimum move the .deb out of the plugins folder, if gmic is working in Gimp, delete it.

If you installed gmic from the ubuntu repo (via synaptic maybe) then it ends up in your root folders.
screenshot. http://i.imgur.com/W2t8Is9.jpg IMHO not the best place for it, should be in your Gimp profile.

This is a video showing Gimp installation and file structure in (a) linux. http://youtu.be/U02lm64tnCQ Have a look at it once, then get back to the main purpose, making better ebook covers. ;)

Imagemagick is essentially a command line application. You should get a menu entry and it should open something like this http://i.imgur.com/GbGvZCY.jpg Click in the window to get that menu. If you do not get that, check that IM is installed, open a terminal and use any of the IM comands, usually convert -version If that does not work you need to remove and re-install.

Hey Rich, Thanks. The videos and screenshots are so helpful. The gmic_gimp file was where you'd said it might be. (screenshot) And it looks like a gradient and some other stuff is there that shouldn't be there. I removed the Deb file from gimp2.8 file and tested GMIC . It works fine.

I didn't install GMIC from Synaptic but I did from the Ubuntu Software Center and the terminal. (And I did so because when I opened "Filters," GMIC was there but grayed out. So I figured it wasn't installed. I didn't know I needed an image for it to be active. And really that is kind of confusing--all the other things in the dropdwon besides GMIC were black with no image open .) Oh well. Like I have a reason to complain when this fantastic program is free and supported! :oops:

And a non-GIMP question. Do you have to have an account to use IMGUR now? (You didn't use to.) Every time I upload a photo there it's asking me to sign in.
Attachment:
Selection_014.png
Selection_014.png [ 68.19 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:45 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
...it looks like a gradient and some other stuff is there that shouldn't be there..

Look at the dates for the files, 11/12/2014 except for gmic_gimp 9/16/2015. First date is when you installed Gimp, that is why I said in the video do not mess with that folder and not the best place to install plugins, if possible put them in your Gimp profile. Any time you want to update/uninstall gmic use the Ubuntu horrible software center or synaptic rather than a manual delete.

Imgur, AFAIK not requiring a login. Very occasionally requires a 'capcha' to upload an image.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:26 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
...it looks like a gradient and some other stuff is there that shouldn't be there..

Look at the dates for the files, 11/12/2014 except for gmic_gimp 9/16/2015. First date is when you installed Gimp, that is why I said in the video do not mess with that folder and not the best place to install plugins, if possible put them in your Gimp profile. Any time you want to update/uninstall gmic use the Ubuntu horrible software center or synaptic rather than a manual delete.

Imgur, AFAIK not requiring a login. Very occasionally requires a 'capcha' to upload an image.

Thanks Rich. You know what's weird is I never put any files there. I mean, I didn't realize I'd put files there. So should I take all of those (including GMIC) out of there and put them in the plug-ins folder? (And yeah, I knew that about using the Ubuntu Software Center. I just got really frustrated and went a little bonkers.)

And try to upload an image to IMgur without signing in. I don't think you can. (Everybody wants you to have an account these days, including MS with Skype. They want to keep us tied down!)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:34 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

iggy wrote:
I never put any files there. I mean, I didn't realize I'd put files there. So should I take all of those (including GMIC) out of there and put them in the plug-ins folder..

repeat do not mess with that folder

If you use a package manager for plugins/scripts the files go to /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ or /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/ If you install yourself, best place is your Gimp profile. If you need to update/remove a package installed with a package manager, use the package manager

Quote:
..And try to upload an image to IMgur without signing in.
Still no sign-in here. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:33 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
iggy wrote:
I never put any files there. I mean, I didn't realize I'd put files there. So should I take all of those (including GMIC) out of there and put them in the plug-ins folder..

repeat do not mess with that folder

Gotcha. I won't.

rich2005 wrote:
If you use a package manager for plugins/scripts the files go to /usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/ or /usr/share/gimp/2.0/scripts/ If you install yourself, best place is your Gimp profile. If you need to update/remove a package installed with a package manager, use the package manager

Okay, and the GIMP profile is the thing in the 19 screenshot?
rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
..And try to upload an image to IMgur without signing in.
Still no sign-in here. :)
[/quote]

And thanks for checking that. I don't know what's going on. But when I click on the 'upload to imgur' button in screenshot 17, I get the sign-in page (18).

Maybe it's just in Illinois that you have to sign in? :hehe

Attachments:
Selection_018.png
Selection_018.png [ 22.6 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]
Selection_017.png
Selection_017.png [ 866.68 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]
Selection_019.png
Selection_019.png [ 57.94 KiB | Viewed 920 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:11 am  (#18) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
..Okay, and the GIMP profile is the thing in the 19 screenshot? ..

Yes, in no.19 ./gimp-2.8 is the top level

You also show it yourself in post no.9, the first image.

Quote:

Maybe not too far from the truth. They will know your ip address or it might be the size of your images. I am a bit old-fashioned, still take bandwidth into account and scale images down.

This almost a Droste (look that one up), there is a sidebar now that you have to expand to get links.
http://i.imgur.com/OwigY07.jpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:41 am  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
..Okay, and the GIMP profile is the thing in the 19 screenshot? ..

Yes, in no.19 ./gimp-2.8 is the top level

You also show it yourself in post no.9, the first image.

Quote:

Maybe not too far from the truth. They will know your ip address or it might be the size of your images. I am a bit old-fashioned, still take bandwidth into account and scale images down.

This almost a Droste (look that one up), there is a sidebar now that you have to expand to get links.
http://i.imgur.com/OwigY07.jpg

Hey Rich. No, I wasn't missing anything. It was the image size. I uploaded a really small photo and it opened up all the links along with the Upload to Imgur button. (Good call.)

I'm in pretty good shape now. Thanks. :bigthup