It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a new 2.9 xcf format that is incompatable with older version
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:58 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Is there a new 2.9 .xcf format that is incompatible with older versions? I just used Partha's 2.9 version to use the new foreground select tool. I saved the file as an .xcf file, but when I tried to open in in 2.8, I received the following error:

XCF error: unsupported XCF file version 8 encountered

Is there a way to move files back to 2.8 from 2.9?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Is there a new 2.9 xcf format that is incompatable with older vers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:40 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Yes, there is an updated format, called version 008.
The biggest changes are:
- support for higher-depth colour (16-bit and 32-bit)
- data compression (as default)
But there are also several more minor changes.

There is an option in the File > Save as... dialog (lower left corner) labelled "Save this XCF file with maximum compatibility" ..if you check that checkbox, the file will be saved without data compression (as was done before GIMP-2.9).
In general, any xcf files generated by GIMP-2.9 which only contain 8-bit colour data and were saved with maximum compatibility should be readable by GIMP-2.8 ..but only "should" (no guarantee).

If you still have problems, then please attach an example XCF or describe how it was made.

Post subject: Re: Is there a new 2.9 xcf format that is incompatable with older vers
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:54 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

It would have been cool if the developers would have created a new format called XCFHD for 2.9x and beyond. That would eliminate the confustion. Just a humble opinion. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:51 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you jontait2 for the info. I will try that.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:24 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update Jontait. I also ran into that problem with 2.9.1 unstable portable build for 32 bit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:05 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

lylejk wrote:
It would have been cool if the developers would have created a new format called XCFHD for 2.9x and beyond. That would eliminate the confustion. Just a humble opinion. :)

I concur somehow. If you change the format of your main "product file" you also change the version, so that should have been Gimp3 and XCF3 (or a completely new extension... how many people know what "XCF" means)?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:23 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

@ jontait2

Not working as planed. The "save compatible" option is greyed out. I tried opening a .xcf, a , .jpg, and a .png, all the same problem. I tried copying the layer via "edit/copy" then "edit/paste-as new-image". the new image can then be saved with "save compatible" option.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:10 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

Hmm.. that does look like a bug.
It works okay with most file types eg. GIF, BMP, PCX, PS, EPS, PDF, SVG, etc
But not with PNG, JPG or TIFF
I'll have a look at the code later.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:11 am  (#9) 
Retired Staff

ofnuts wrote:
... how many people know what "XCF" means)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XCF_%28file_format%29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:41 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Someone should update that page re the 2.9 version and how to make the xcf files compatible for earlier versions.
Thanks for that link Oregonian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm  (#11) 
Script Coder

@Bilbo
Well, the problem appears to be metadata - for image files without metadata (such as GIF, BMP, PCX, PS, etc) GIMP behaves as expected, but for those with metadata (eg. PNG, JPG, most TIFF) GIMP gets a little confused and thinks the image cannot be saved with "maximum compatibility".

Reported as a bug:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=757268

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:45 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for all your help jontait2 !!!!! So, if we remove the metadata from a .jhp or a .png file, than it will work just fine? I know that your are busy with the project (I've been there) so there isn't any rush. If you could just inform us when it is complete, whenever it is.

And THANKS again!