It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fuzzy/unclear text
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:40 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.6.11
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Hello everyone. I am new to this group so please bear with me!
I have been using Gimp to put together flyers for my little restaurant for a bit now. I just made an add for a local magazine, it is 43mm x 106mm 300 Pixels/inch. Everything looked good in gimp, and I saved it to jpg. (100% Quality, and 1x1, 1x1, 1x1 Best Quality). I opened it up and thought it still looked good. I made the Preview window, that I was viewing the picture in, smaller to see what it would look like at the accurate size. The writing was not clear and fuzzy. How can I make sure the writing is crisp and clear??

Sorry I don't know how the make this smaller so that the unclear writing is apparent...

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Fuzzy/unclear text
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:55 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hi there. Have you tried viewing the image printed at the correct size? Perhaps it is just the viewer making the text fuzzy. If it is clear at the normal size and looks fuzzy or not crisp when you view at a smaller size it probably will still be clear at the correct resolution size after print.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:04 am  (#3) 

Well the size I made it was 43mm x 106mm, so I don't know why it is being displayed so large. When I make the image in Preview smaller so that it is more the size it is supposed to be it is fuzzy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:18 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Where is it fuzzy?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:05 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

The image does look ok at standard Gimp display with View -> dot-for-dot on. Turn that off to check the print size. Monitor should be calibrated for this to be accurate, Edit -> Preferences -> Display

When it comes to a Mac, I seem to remember (could be wrong here) that there is some built in anti-aliasing which will distort the actual image

OP has correctly created the image at 300 ppi, does not need to be more than that.
Since this is part of a flyer, probably going to be offset-printed which brings in more parameters. Offset printing uses lines-per-inch (lpi) rather than dpi. Quality printing about 150 lpi but because of dithering that 300 ppi is needed.

In the image the very smallest printing is about 1 mm. Attached all in one of the image with inset scan of an actual flyer, reasonable quality, glossy paper.

The OP's image might just be ok but it is a close thing.

Best advice I ever got, Ask the printing company for a proof print before ordering 1000's

edit: Saving as a jpeg, not such a good idea with that tiny text. A better format would be lossless compressed tiff. Surprising if a printing company insists on jpeg.

Attachments:
offset.jpg
offset.jpg [ 280 KiB | Viewed 3830 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:05 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Actually i suggest using Inkscape to do your text editing as it is vector.
https://inkscape.org/en/
Then save it as large res png and scale it down to the size you need. I bet that would make it clearer.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:00 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

I second Rod's suggestion. I use the same technique for just this reason.