It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: editing characters in a jpg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:04 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hi,

I typed characters (alphabet letters) into the bottom of a jpg in GIMP by using the capital A (in the Toolbox) and choosing font style, size. I then exported it as a jpg.

Now I want to edit that typed in text/characters but when I open the jpg in GIMP and click on the capital A I can't edit any of the characters, say to correct a misspelling.

If I do not access the capital A, I can't type any characters in the area where the prior characters exist.

How does one edit characters typed in and exported as a jpg and then re-opened using GIMP?

Thanks so much!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: editing characters in a jpg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:27 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Since it's a jpg, there is no character information other than visual. You can fill the character with bits of the background then superimpose the character you want in it's place; really the only option. Bitmaps aren't like vector data. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:25 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I've taken a pdf file an imported it into GIMP. Then. using the Toolkit's Capital A I can then edit in characters - ex. Photo of a dog and below that I can type in the characters ...This is my dog. He's smart.

I can then export that pdf as a jpg.

But, now I wish to open that jpg and add to the characters I typed in .. My dog is 3 years old or maybe I want to correct a misspelling I typed in before I exported that file as a jpg.

How do I edit that created and exported jpg to correct spellings and/or add characters (e.g. MY dog is 3)?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 pm  (#4) 
Retired Staff

You can't change the text that has already been saved in the jpg, however you can add more text to the image.

When you click the Text tool :text and type in text, a new layer will be made. You can move that text around and put it where you want it in your image.

Be sure to use the same font, color and size you used for your previous text.

After you've positioned the new text where you want it, merge down the layer and export your image with the added text.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:09 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I have a misspelled word/character in the jpg I saved - How can I correct that now once it's saved?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

eagertolearn wrote:
I have a misspelled word/character in the jpg I saved - How can I correct that now once it's saved?

You may be able to use the cloning tool to remove the mistake, then use the text tool to retype what you need. When you do work in GIMP, it's always a good idea to save your work as an .xcf file. Then you can click on it, and it will have the text layer, and the original photo, as long as you didn't merge, or flatten the layers. It would have been easy to click on the text layer, and retype it, if you had saved it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:05 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Lesson learned. I'll save work product as .xcf for any future editing.

Right now how do I find the "Cloning Tool"?

Would I then brush the Cloning Tools over the misspelled word?

And then do I drag the A (Capital A) over to that box and re-type characters?

I'm not entirely clear how to correct this in its current .jpg format.

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:16 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

My interpretation of your answer in post #3 is "I don't understand the answer"! Or the answer in post #2, by lylejk, seems correct and important to understand.

Here is my try for this. Traditionally there is two ways to specify an image:
1) 'bitmap' by a 2D map of dots or 'vector' by mathematics curve.
2) or a JPG image is strictly a 'bitmap' and the characters a 'vector' affair. So when you save as JPG you loose the vector info (characters).
3) the way to resume editing characters, in GIMP, is saving in XCF, not JPG; where 'text' layer with 'vector' info are conserved.

I was :ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

The Warrior?

Could you please respond to my response to your helpful post when you have a moment?

Thank you!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:56 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I would suggest going to youTube, and typing in GIMP cloning tool in the search box. Lots of good tutorials on there, that not only explain, but show you what to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:56 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Just remember to save your work as a XCF workspace file each time with ALL the layers and then as long as you don't render the type (remove its edibility) you should be ok. You will know if you have rendered the type if the capitol T next to the type layer disappears.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:37 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

What is being said in the previous replies is that when you save text in a jpg, bmp, png, etc., what you are saving is, in effect, a picture of your text and therefore cannot be edited.
As said by Rod, save your work as an xcf without flattening and you will still have a layer with actual text that can be edited.

I hope this perhaps makes it clearer!

david.