It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't install GIMP 2.8.16 on El Capitan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.16
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.11.4
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any ERROR messages you received:
It appears that you are using GIMP for the first time. GIMP will now create a folder named '/Users/-my name-/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8' and copy some files to it.

Creating folder '/Users/-my name-/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8'...
Cannot create folder '/Users/-my name-/Library/Application Support/GIMP/2.8': Permission denied

Hi ... I'm continuing from my "Hello" post, as this seems to be the right place.

Subject says it all. I can't install GiMP 2.8.16 on OSX 10.11.4. I downloaded it , dragged it to the apps folder, and when I try to start it, I get a message box saying with the error message I quoted above.

I still have an older version 2.8.2 running, and it developed some weird behaviors when I upgraded to El Cap ... malfunctioning short cuts, the inability to type, etc ... but I've worked around most of them.

I have found the proper "GIMP" file in my user library, and there is already a "2.8" folder there with plugins, fonts, etc. I did try renaming that folder to see if I could get my newer GIMP to install, but it didn't work. I've changed the permissions via the "get info" menu, but no luck. I downloaded GIMP more than once, and tried the whole process over, in case there was something up with the file itself.

I'm aware of the long wait for font searches, but this isn't that. The message comes up almost instantly.

They say the definition of a crazy person is one who repeatedly tries the same thing and expects a different result, and I'm starting to feel that way.
So far, I've only seen one post about this specific issue anywhere, and there was no solution. Help???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Can't install GIMP 2.8.16 on El Capitan
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:02 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

njslim, when I saw your original post, I downloaded 2.8.16 and tried installing and (I too am running El Capitan 10.11.4), like you, directed Gimp as to where all of it's sub-folders were. No matter what I tried it did not work. I made sure to "unlock" and nothing. Formerly I had Partha's 2.8.14 with Partha's G'mic and it worked perfectly. May I humbly suggest that you try doing the following (which I posted in the former thread) and then install Partha's McGimp 2.8.14 and G'mic; it works flawlessly and I don't believe there is much difference between 2.8.14 and 2.8.16.

Dalia wrote:
njslimCopied folder 2.8 to an external flash drive first then I deleted the 2.8 folder from the Mac. I then used "AppCleaner" to uninstall Gimp from the system and all related files. Once that was done and I emptied my "Trash" I restarted the Mac. You can now download the version of Gimp you want and install it - you will see that a new 2.8 folder will be created in [Users>Your Name>Library>Application Support>Gimp]. What I did then was to add the contents off of my flash drive back to the respective sub-folders in 2.8 (brushes, scripts, plug-ins, fonts etc.). Start Gimp up and wait a bit while it locates everything - note, it will take a while when it gets to fonts - while it is doing that do not touch your mouse or trackpad. Eventually, it opens up.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:39 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Dalia,
I'm not sure I have your level of bravery, but I appreciate your response. I may wait till I have a little more time to take the necessary care with this. Does this process do anything to files you've created with GIMP? (Sorry if it's a dumb question).

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:06 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

njslim, I'm not so sure that I'm brave but I am overly and impulsively curious. Also, there is never a "dumb" question. As you'll soon see, your question - when and if you do go through with this - just saved your work.

Take your time and when you are ready, have that flash drive (I had a 32GB flash - depending on how much work you've done you may need more), you will copy that 2.8 folder plus your work folder. In my case, everything I've ever done with Gimp is in a folder I created called "Work" (how creative :roll: ). If you don't copy your work as well, it will be gone.

Here is the link to the appcleaner if you don't have it already: AppCleaner for Mac Free

When and if you get ready please feel free to pm me with any questions.

G'mic 1.6.5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:06 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Dalia ... since I have GIMP files scattered all over the place, this may be a minute. ;-) I hope you didn't find out about the "work" file the hard way. If I run into trouble, I will indeed pm you.
:-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:54 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

njslim wrote:
...I hope you didn't find out about the "work" file the hard way. If I run into trouble, I will indeed pm you.
:-)

I thank the powers that be that always in my impulsiveness I do pause and, like in a chess game, I ask myself if I make this move, what's going to happen next.... In my case my "work" folder is also in my Gimp folder so I knew if I got rid of Gimp, the entire contents of that folder would be gone.

Better safe than sorry...

G'mic 1.6.5