It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I get GIMP Printouts as good as those from Win Photo Gallery
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:22 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.16
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: VISTA SP2
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I have noticed that printed images which I have drawn in The GIMP's RGB Color Space, or even a jpg exported version, don't have the quality that printing the exported jpg version with Windows Photo Gallery produces. The problem with Photo Gallery is that it resizes the printed image and offers very little sizing control options and, for me, sizing is crucial. I have already painstakingly sized the images in GIMP & don't want to do it all over again so, the best solution for me is to emulate the print quality of Photo Gallery.

I have done alot of research & experimentation to try & get GIMP to print like Photo Gallery but, to no avail. I understand that in Windows VISTA, Photo Gallery uses the Windows Color Management System (WCMS) to print images whereas other programs, like Microsoft Paint, do not use the WCMS for printing.

I have configured GIMP's Color Management Profiles as follows:
Mode of Operation = Color Managed Display &/or“Print Simulation”
Monitor Profile = For my AOC 2060W Monitor this is 2060W.icm with the “Try to use the system monitor profile” checkbox checked.
RGB Profile = sRGB Color Space Profile.icm (Displays as IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space – sRGB)
CMYK Profile = None
Print Simulation Profile = RSWOP.icm (Displays as Agfa : Swop Standard)

Other relative specifics:
Operating System = Windows VISTA SP 2
GIMP Version = 2.8.16

Is there anyway to make GIMP print with the color detail & sharpness of Photo Gallery? Or, is there a way I can enter the WCS Profile that Photo Gallery uses into GIMP's Color Management Preferences?

Lastly, how do you remove a Color Management (.icm) Profile from GIMP's Preferences?

Any help would be appreciated & thanks.
Lenny

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How can I get GIMP Printouts as good as those from Win Photo Galle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
There are a few things you can check, to be sure you get the best from you images when printing.

Gimp by default sets the X and Y resolution of any given canvas to 72.000 DPI, which isn't very good when printing.
Setting this to about 300.000 should help.

Also, check that the Quality Interpolation is set to Cubic.
Cubic produces the best results, but is a little slow.

Post subject: Re: How can I get GIMP Printouts as good as those from Win Photo Galle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:24 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks for the fast reply & the welcome.

I do create all new images which I intend to print in 300 x 300 dpi. But, where do I find Quality Interpolation = Cubic? I have checked CM & Display Preferences, Display Filters, Export to jpg & simulated a printout but, I can't find it anywhwere.

Seems like I have seen it somewhere but I just can't remember where.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:51 pm  (#4) 
Administrator

Falcon459 wrote:
Thanks for the fast reply & the welcome.

I do create all new images which I intend to print in 300 x 300 dpi.
But,
where do I find Quality Interpolation = Cubic?
I have checked CM & Display Preferences,
Display Filters,
Export to jpg & simulated a printout but,
I can't find it anywhwere.

Seems like I have seen it somewhere but I just can't remember where.

Look here...
Not that this will solve your issue.
I just thought that it would be something you might check.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:01 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Yup, it's set to Cubic. Thanks again Wallace.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:18 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Falcon459 wrote:
Yup, it's set to Cubic. Thanks again Wallace.

Okay. :bigthup

I understand what the issue is, but I can't seem to figure out why it's happening.
That's about all I have to add.
Hopefully others will read this and be add more info.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:04 pm  (#7) 
Global Moderator

Lenny, When you get some time I suggest a visit to the Nine Degrees Below website. It has excellent Gimp Color Management info like, What is embedded color profile information and much more. When you're happy with your color management setup in Gimp consider exporting as PDF and print using Adobe Acrobat print options or if you have Scribus use it for printing.

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:15 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Irfanview will manage your pictures. The bigger the better. I printed many photos from it and only had to change the paper size and paper type in the printer settings from Irfanview. It does the rest.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:13 pm  (#9) 
Script Coder

There are better options for printing images from windows.

As suggested, try Infranview, or Faststone.

-Rob A>

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:17 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks to you all for the great tips. I have done some Color Saturation and Sharpness adjustments to my drawings and I am now getting better prints straight from GIMP. Although the actual printed image still looks slightly different on paper than what is displayed on my screen in Print Simulation Mode.

Odinbc - I have been to Five Degrees Below before and, you're right, there is a wealth of CM Info there but, I need to start from the beginning because most of it reads like a foreign language to me at this rookie stage of CM.

sallyanne & RobA - Thanks for bringing those options to my attention. I will definitely check them out.

So, does anyone know how to remove a Color Management (.icm) Profile from GIMP's Preferences? I accidentally added the same profile twice and would like to remove the duplicate from GIMP's Preferences. It should be, and may be, something simple but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks again everyone