It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Odd problem with "stroke path"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Salix
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Unknown

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

I've just started having a strange issue when I try to stroke a path with the basic "stroke path" function. For some reason, it reverts to the previous color used to stroke a path. I set the foreground color, choose the brush, hit the stroke path icon in the paths dialog and as soon as the menu opens my foreground color changes to whatever I last stroked a path with. I can change the color while the stroke menu is open and it will accept the new color. But if I try later to stroke a path again with a different color it will automatically change the foreground color to the previous one. I don't understand what is changed. I haven't seen this problem before. It doesn't matter if I emulate brush dynamics or not. I even turned off brush dynamics to see if that made a difference.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Odd problem with "stroke path"
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:21 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Curious, what is active, layer, path, selection...?

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:39 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

When I first noticed the problem I opened a new image to test it out. So there was only the background layer and the test path. I didn't make any selections in the new image.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:04 pm  (#4) 
Script Coder

Is you image in indexed mode by any chance?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:11 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

No, RGB.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:21 am  (#6) 
Script Coder

Sasquatch wrote:
No, RGB.

Using a tablet?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:32 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

No. Can't afford one yet.

I'll have to look again when I get home. Because I think the image I had the problem with is not the one I checked the mode of.

I did remember that the problem began after I installed and tested a gih brush. That seems relevant.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

Not all brushes take the color, some carry their own color and it cannot be changed. Brushes created from grayscale images are just opacity masks and will abide to the foreground color, those created from RGB image have their own unmodifiable colors.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:01 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Not all brushes take the color, some carry their own color and it cannot be changed. Brushes created from grayscale images are just opacity masks and will abide to the foreground color, those created from RGB image have their own unmodifiable colors.

And I kept changing the color while using that brush. Maybe that caused a glitch?

Now I can't replicate the problem. Paths stroke just fine. I am so confused.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:04 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

I do find an occasional problem in Gimp, especially if I have been messing around with a picture for a long time...I chalk it up to my computer and Gimp running out of space because when I save the work, close out Gimp, then reopen Gimp it usually fixes the problem. That being said, there is always the chance that something is really wrong in the program.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:37 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

2-ton wrote:
I do find an occasional problem in Gimp, especially if I have been messing around with a picture for a long time...I chalk it up to my computer and Gimp running out of space because when I save the work, close out Gimp, then reopen Gimp it usually fixes the problem. That being said, there is always the chance that something is really wrong in the program.

I closed it down right before reading this. It had started doing very weird things. I tried adding a gradient to a layer and it wouldn't do it. So I tried dragging the background color and dropping it on the layer... nothing. Very strange. I'm sure it will be just fine when I reopen it in a minute.