It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tablet has no pressure/opacity in Gimp 2.8?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:01 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I’m using a Wacom Bamboo Fun (model CTE-450) and I’ve been using this model of tablet successfully in gimp for about 5 years now (starting from 2.0 and continually upgrading over the years). I’m running Windows 10 and using the latest 2.8 version of Gimp. (Note: I have tried using my tablet both with the driver install from the disc and the updated online ones - it makes no difference).

I updated Gimp from the version I’d had for several months to the newest 2.8. When it updated, I went in to continue with my art and found that my tablet no longer has any sort of pressure/opacity. It was fine before I updated to 2.8. I followed some fixes and updated and checked all my tablet drivers as well, but this fixed nothing. On a whim I re-downloaded an older version of Gimp 2.6 (the interface of which I don’t like much so I don’t want to stick with the old version) and in that version my tablet works FINE. However in 2.8 it still does not.

So in 2.6 it works exactly as expected, with the line having more opacity the more pressure I apply, as expected. In 2.8 it’s a thick black line from the moment the pen is detected touching the tablet, as though I am pressing as hard as possible.

I have tried going to input devices and setting it to “screen”. However it is already set to screen by default. The tablet and eraser are also sort of greyed out in the options list. I can see the options for the eraser and the tablet's pressure stylus, but it says things like "the X axis has no curve" etc. the "tilt" and "wheel" things just say "none" as well. I'm not sure what this means, but I can't change anything here. (I've attached a file/image).

The paint dynamics editor / mapping matrix (with the check boxes for the brush) is all greyed out and I can't do anything here. I did follow a previous walkthrough (which did not work) in which I made my own new brush and selecting all the check boxes needed, however this also does nothing. No matter how many boxes I have unchecked (all, some or none) it doesn't change the opacity / pressure of the brush to what it was before I updated. I cannot get it to work, I don't know why, and I'm not familiar enough with the software to figure it all out. I've tried to post as much info based on other 'fixes' for this issue, as none of them have worked for me. Hopefully someone can tell me what the problem is so I can get back to my art!
Thanks~

Attachments:
0003.jpg
0003.jpg [ 53.38 KiB | Viewed 3370 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati