It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Image maping help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:53 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I hope there is a way to do this with gimp. What i am trying to do is make an email brochure kind of thing. Its one page with images and text on it and at the bottom of it, i want to add some image maps so that when people receive the email they can click on certain images and text do take them to certain webpages. For example, i have the facebook and twitter and instagram logos and i would like that if they click on those images within the email i send, that it links them to the websites. Also i have some text that says click here to email us, and i want it to open up their email with my email address there ready to send. Now i made my brochure and i flattened the image and i went into the image map screen and i selected everything and put in the links and emails and such... But now i am stuck! How do i go about layering those image maps over my image so i can save it as a PNG or something so i can just send it out as an email? I have watch tutorial after tutorial with not finding any help on how to go about this? Is it even possible? Please help as i have resorted to drinking beer to help with my killer brain crampage.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Image maping help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:17 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

I am not that experienced in gimp, however what you are talking about can be done
in HTML. When I learned how to do what you are doing, a very good resource was
W3schools.com. In Gimp you can make your images.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:17 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

You can make imagemaps in GIMP and export the relevant code. The trick is to edit the email code and insert the image & code GIMP generates. If you're using an email program to make the original email it's possible but the best way to go (with this type of email), is to start with your own HTML email template. Some knowledge of HTML & CSS is required but all-in-all it's not that difficult. If you need a responsive email (for mobile devices), a GIMP generated imagemap will not work. A responsive SVG image map 'maybe' will work on mobile, (Email opens on mobile are over 50%).

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:43 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Scotty86 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I hope there is a way to do this with gimp. What i am trying to do is make an email brochure kind of thing. Its one page with images and text on it and at the bottom of it, i want to add some image maps so that when people receive the email they can click on certain images and text do take them to certain webpages. For example, i have the facebook and twitter and instagram logos and i would like that if they click on those images within the email i send, that it links them to the websites. Also i have some text that says click here to email us, and i want it to open up their email with my email address there ready to send. Now i made my brochure and i flattened the image and i went into the image map screen and i selected everything and put in the links and emails and such... But now i am stuck! How do i go about layering those image maps over my image so i can save it as a PNG or something so i can just send it out as an email? I have watch tutorial after tutorial with not finding any help on how to go about this? Is it even possible? Please help as i have resorted to drinking beer to help with my killer brain crampage.

You cannot sent just an image, you have to send HTML that includes your image. Whether your HTML includes just one image with an imagemap or distinct image, text and links is up to you (IMHO the second option is better).

You also have to cater to the people who have disabled HTML or are using a plain-text mail client, and consider that there are so many scams that involve clicking on links in emails that users and mail providers may also summarily nix such mail.