It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Halloween idea.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:31 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Would any of you GIMP masters be able to tell me if it's possible to create this effect.
i'e if i took a photo of my son in that pose would i be able to use either bump or displacement to achieve it.
And if so a rundown or tutorial on how to accomplish this task TIA.

PS Forgot to mention that i'm getting a jump on halloween. Just made me laugh that jump appt for halloween i suppose. Image

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Halloween idea.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:44 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

There is something in GMIC that lets us do a similar filter, but not sure it will give you the full blown effect. It's part anguish effect and smooth abstract, but I think it would work best using mask layers to help eliminate the parts of the image you don't want in the effect.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:14 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you for you input Mahvin ill have a play with these filters see if i can get something to pop out.
Here's another image I'd like to reproduce if possible.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 pm  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I strongly believe that creating a few maps and converting them to masks, you can accomplish just about anything you want. In GMIC, we have the ability to run filters across several layers and tweak the filters between a LITTLE or a LOT in those filter settings. The great thing is you are at the right place to ask, LOL, because it stirs up the GIMP army and off to work they go, and before you know it, there will be a script or tutorial a few days later. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:00 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Maybe a shaped white>black gradient around a selection? Used as a bump map that would taper out in a sort of linear fashion like stretched rubber/fabric.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:54 pm  (#6) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I was thinking that you could also use,
Filter > Map > Displacement to map the contour of the face to the base image?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:26 pm  (#7) 
Retired Staff

Happened to see a link to Gimp Scripts play up there to a script named Mythical.

http://www.3d-hobby-art.de/en/blog/197- ... hical.html

You will have to go to Gimp Scripts to get the script if this is what you are looking for. There's also a video in Gimp Scripts.

http://gimpscripts.com/2016/08/mythical/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:24 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Here's a feeble attempt that's at least headed in the right direction;
I desaturated a picture of a hand and used Threshold to cut down the definition. Then I used Zoom Blur centered on the palm of the hand to spread the image out. Then I did a gaussian blur on it to further fade the lines. Then I used that layer as the map to Bump Map the gradient layer. And I used Zoom Blur on the resulting bumped layer as well. Then I ran Filters>Artistic>Clothify to give the whole thing a bit of texture. I used a rather high blur setting (68 I think) on the clothify and the depth was only 1. The idea wasn't to make burlap, just a subtle texture to make it look like a screen.

The whole thing is too dark. And it doesn't fade out quite as smoothly as the original picture. But maybe it could be tweaked more.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:29 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

That's really good Sasquatch I'm going to have a play with those setting as you've got a better result than anything I've tried so far. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:52 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

It definitely has the same vibe as the original. But it falls well short of duplicating it. Nothing I did got the bump gradual enough to look right. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:56 pm  (#11) 
Global Moderator

The thing is, they are still good representations, Sasquatch. The more people keep trying to manipulate images in certain ways, the more successful everyone else gets when the AH HA! moment hits. I tend to stalk Photoshop forums that have some great artistic renderings, and then attempt to translate the GIMP version of the PS tutorials that are offered.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:19 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
The thing is, they are still good representations, Sasquatch. The more people keep trying to manipulate images in certain ways, the more successful everyone else gets when the AH HA! moment hits. I tend to stalk Photoshop forums that have some great artistic renderings, and then attempt to translate the GIMP version of the PS tutorials that are offered.

I agree completely. That's why I started doing tutorials. I want to share what little I know in the hope it will give somebody else an idea that they share. I really like how this community feeds off one another's ideas.

But I still think mine was a feeble attempt. :gaah :rofl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:07 pm  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Yes, Tux did a great job pulling this forum together, and then the Scripts website was much needed because the repository got left behind and fell into disrepair. Ingo got to be too busy to keep it up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:10 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

I still think it's achievable in GIMP as Sasquatch as proven but I'm not as talented as you guy's and gals as yet so i think ill take this root.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:40 pm  (#15) 
GimpChat Member

It's become something of a challenge to me now. Between this and perfecting lightning I think I may never sleep again.