It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Text
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:33 pm  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.18
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: The latest
GIMP Experience: Experienced User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
none

List any ERROR messages you received:
none

What on earth has GIMP done to the text box? I used to be able to move it with my mouse, while still in text format. Now it's all weird. Wazzzzzup with this nonsense?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Text
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:39 pm  (#2) 
Global Moderator

Ok, fine! Must hold the ALT button to get the 4 way arrow. We're being reduced to shortcuts now?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:45 am  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mahvin wrote:
Ok, fine! Must hold the ALT button to get the 4 way arrow. We're being reduced to shortcuts now?

If you click on the filled text color itself,
(whatever color you used for your text) with the mouse.
I think you should be able to move it with the mouse,
while the move tool is selected.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:16 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

I've been away for a while, and before I left, I could move my text (while in Text via Tool Manager) wherever I wanted to by clicking and dragging it around. Some few years later, that feature (or the brain cells that I lost, either or) was no longer available. Knowing the developers of GIMP as I do, LOL, I was certain that (RTFM) information was hiding somewhere on the WWW. Did you know the latest tutorial on moving text was posted in 2012? How's that for RTFM?

Well, good ole trusty GIMP.org should have the manual, right? Yup, and here is the entry for moving text:

But guess what? That doesn't work on my Mac dual booting Windows 10. What does work is the alt (option) key when selecting text on the text layer, and that is without using the Move tool, whatsoever.

I've been away too long, but that's life. I'm just glad to be back.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:21 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mahvin wrote:
I've been away for a while, and before I left, I could move my text (while in Text via Tool Manager) wherever I wanted to by clicking and dragging it around. Some few years later, that feature (or the brain cells that I lost, either or) was no longer available. Knowing the developers of GIMP as I do, LOL, I was certain that (RTFM) information was hiding somewhere on the WWW. Did you know the latest tutorial on moving text was posted in 2012? How's that for RTFM?

Well, good ole trusty GIMP.org should have the manual, right? Yup, and here is the entry for moving text:

[ Image ]

But guess what? That doesn't work on my Mac dual booting Windows 10. What does work is the alt (option) key when selecting text on the text layer, and that is without using the Move tool, whatsoever.

I've been away too long, but that's life. I'm just glad to be back.

Macintosh...
:mrgreen:
That explains it.