It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theming question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:29 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
N/A

List any ERROR messages you received:
N/A

Where do they hide all the images that make up the menus and such? I've tried searching from the terminal with no real luck. I'd like to look and see if I can't tweak things to add my own personality to the display.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Theming question
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:07 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

Sasquatch I sure I'm not the only one confused by your question can you Illustrate and/or explain what you mean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:09 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

It sounds like he wants to re-arrange the drop downs on GIMP menu to tailor to his own tastes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

mahvin wrote:
It sounds like he wants to re-arrange the drop downs on GIMP menu to tailor to his own tastes.

Rearrange, decorate, etc. I've already been busy editing scripts to change their menus. But I'd like to change some of the appearance as well.

Then the trick will be figuring out how to keep the changes when I update gimp.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:46 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

to change the menu location of plugins edit you pluginrc file for photoshop plugins edit pspirc
these files are located towards the bottom of your user folder, copy these files after you edit and place somewhere safe such as a folder called Menu-new so you can easily replace should you update your gimp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:52 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks. I hadn't even thought about editing plugins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:01 pm  (#7) 
Script Coder

Please Copy and save these files before you edit in case you screw up :bawl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:16 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Sasquatch, to tweak things, look at preferences. and you can change your photos signature there too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:22 pm  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Is this what you're looking for, Subject: GIMP Themes - Getting Started?
If so search Gimp Chat for, themes & paynekj. He knows more than most about GIMP themes, .

Spirit Bear (Kermode)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:34 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

As long as you keep your newly designed theme in the user/.gimp-2.8/themes folder updating without losing your new theme shouldn't be a problem.
Here is one i designed myself which works well in GIMP-2.8.16.

Blue-Licorice-Dynamic-Metallica
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4784

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:50 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
As long as you keep your newly designed theme in the user/.gimp-2.8/themes folder updating without losing your new theme shouldn't be a problem.
Here is one i designed myself which works well in GIMP-2.8.16.

Blue-Licorice-Dynamic-Metallica
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4784

[ Image ]

I like the scrollbars :rofl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:19 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Okay, lots of responses since I've been away. So I hope I can cover all the bases. I know how to move scripts from one menu to another. Now I know how to move plug-ins around the menus. So that is a major help. What I don't know is how to alter the look like Rod did in that theme he posted. I downloaded the theme for examination. Yes, I have read most of that theme thread posted earlier here. Very helpful. But I'm still in the dark as to how to find out what can be tweaked and what the limits of tweakability are. Is it as simple as drawing buttons and giving them the right names?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:45 am  (#13) 
Script Coder

Sasquatch wrote:
Yes, I have read most of that theme thread posted earlier here. Very helpful. But I'm still in the dark as to how to find out what can be tweaked and what the limits of tweakability are. Is it as simple as drawing buttons and giving them the right names?

The documentation for GTK themes isn't very good, so finding out what can be done is mostly a matter of trying things.

Yes, it is a case of drawing widgets BUT you need to alter the gtkrc file to tell it which images to use for each part of the theme, or even down to a particular widget (i.e. you could probably create an image for the OK button on the curves dialog)

So try stuff and ask questions... And if you're trying to theme a 2.9.x build, it's all different and existing themes won't work properly.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:58 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

paynekj wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
Yes, I have read most of that theme thread posted earlier here. Very helpful. But I'm still in the dark as to how to find out what can be tweaked and what the limits of tweakability are. Is it as simple as drawing buttons and giving them the right names?

The documentation for GTK themes isn't very good, so finding out what can be done is mostly a matter of trying things.

Yes, it is a case of drawing widgets BUT you need to alter the gtkrc file to tell it which images to use for each part of the theme, or even down to a particular widget (i.e. you could probably create an image for the OK button on the curves dialog)

So try stuff and ask questions... And if you're trying to theme a 2.9.x build, it's all different and existing themes won't work properly.

Kevin

That's why I was trying to track down the location of the stock icons. If I can find the picture of the stock OK button then I have its name and I can look in the gtkrc file to see where that name is called. Because it's possible the same button is used in multiple places where I might want to use different buttons. And there are several places where Wilber appears in a dialog header area. That means I can put other images in those spaces if I can find out what those spaces are called. Will the next version of GIMP not be GTK? Or is it just a matter of the new gtkrc having different names for things?

I have your theming thread bookmarked. I'll be reading it repeatedly over the weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:55 am  (#15) 
Script Coder

GIMP 2.9.x and therefore GIMP 2.10 if and when it appears are using Icon themes, which are separate from the themes, so you can change the theme colours etc separately from the icons.

Which has lead to the ridiculous situation of one of the standard themes being difficult to use because the standard icon themes are a very similar colour to the background.

Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:54 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

One thing that puzzles me on themes, is why the top bar remains white. I've searched high and low trying to find the source of where the header bar of GIMP can be changed to a different color. White just throws my whole dark theme off kilter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:03 am  (#17) 
Script Coder

mahvin wrote:
One thing that puzzles me on themes, is why the top bar remains white. I've searched high and low trying to find the source of where the header bar of GIMP can be changed to a different color. White just throws my whole dark theme off kilter.

The title bar colour comes from your operating system/window manager - it's not controllable from within the GIMP theme.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:05 am  (#18) 
Global Moderator

That's rather interesting in that my Win 10 display theme is dark, and all my windows withing Win 1O are black, just not GIMP's title bar. Makes me think somewhere within the code, someone got lazy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:24 am  (#19) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
mahvin wrote:
That's rather interesting in that my Win 10 display theme is dark, and all my windows withing Win 1O are black, just not GIMP's title bar. Makes me think somewhere within the code, someone got lazy.

Have you selected a color from windows Personalization Settings?
I think by default,
the color is set so it automatically picks an accent color from your background.
I picked an orange color.

This is what my Gimp Title Bar looks like,
as I highlight each panel.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:41 am  (#20) 
Global Moderator

Thanks, Wallace, that did the trick. Just when you think you know Windows, they throw 10 at ya, and it comes with a small learning curve.