It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Text to Path
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:32 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.8.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10 Home 32 bit
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Extrude from path

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

Thought I'd try some Extrude from path text today for a flyer I am doing and found my 'Text to Path' isn't working.
After the script not working at all for me I thought I would look at this. After clicking on text to path it has the option in selection to 'select from path' I havn't got any other paths. But when I go to text to path again it isn't greyed out like it has already been done
Can I down-load this again?
I also tried it this way - alpha to select - select to path - Extrude still didn't work. I still had the options to make a path too.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Text to Path
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:16 am  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Are you talking about the "built-in" text to path?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:23 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

The text to path does work, but by default the path eye is off so the path is not visible.

1. Select the text tool and select the text.
2. Right click on the text.
3. From the drop down menu select "Path from Text"
4. In the path dialogue switch on the eye to make the path visible.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:49 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

@ Wallace Yes, the built in one
@ blighty11, not sure what you mean. Shouldn't have to be visible

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:55 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

ok path is there. I'll try d/l another script and replacing the one I have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:58 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Now I remember. Hasn't worked since I downloaded the new release 'twice'. I haven't had a working one at all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:27 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
ok path is there. I'll try d/l another script and replacing the one I have.

The ofnuts path inbetweener is a good script to have.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:40 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10 Home 32 bit
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Extrude from path

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

Thought I'd try some Extrude from path text today for a flyer I am doing and found my 'Text to Path' isn't working.
After the script not working at all for me I thought I would look at this. After clicking on text to path it has the option in selection to 'select from path' I havn't got any other paths. But when I go to text to path again it isn't greyed out like it has already been done
Can I down-load this again?
I also tried it this way - alpha to select - select to path - Extrude still didn't work. I still had the options to make a path too.

You must be talking about Graechans Extrude from path script?

This filter will extrude any path you have active. It does not have to be visible.
Steps i take with this script
1) create regular text
2) right click text layer / and do "Text to Path"
3) create new transparent layer
4) run Graechans "Extrude from Path" script with default values selected, or reset the script if you wish.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:23 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

Yeah I was. Hasn't worked for me since I downloaded rel 2.2 and over wrote the original.
Is it only meant for 64 bit?
By the way Rod it doesn't have the last two check boxes...even though I only downloaded it again a couple hours ago.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:52 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Yeah I was. Hasn't worked for me since I downloaded rel 2.2 and over wrote the original.
By the way Rod it doesn't have the last two check boxes...even though I only downloaded it again a couple hours ago.

The beauty of scheme is that it works in any version of GIMP as long as the pdb calls within the filter code are correct for the version of GIMP you use it in. 32 bit or 64 bit the code is the same.

You must have 2.1 if it doesn't have the fade out effect yet. 2.2 is the latest version.

Try this
Remove all your scm files (TO A SAFE FOLDER) EXCEPT extrude from path and try it again. If it works it means one or more of your scm files are the culprit. You can then simply add one at a time until you get another error. Then you know which one is at fault and maybe we can figure it out from there.
HOWEVER if it still doesn't work after removing all other scm files the problem could lie with the version of GIMP you use. I use GIMP-2.8.16 64 bit.

Have you tried the scm filter in any one of parthas 2.8 portables?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:12 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

Rod wrote:
sallyanne wrote:

The beauty of scheme is that it works in any version of GIMP as long as the pdb calls within the filter code are correct for the version of GIMP you use it in. 32 bit or 64 bit the code is the same.

You must have 2.1 if it doesn't have the fade out effect yet. 2.2 is the latest version.

Try this
Remove all your scm files (TO A SAFE FOLDER) EXCEPT extrude from path and try it again. If it works it means one or more of your scm files are the culprit. You can then simply add one at a time until you get another error. Then you know which one is at fault and maybe we can figure it out from there.
HOWEVER if it still doesn't work after removing all other scm files the problem could lie with the version of GIMP you use. I use GIMP-2.8.16 64 bit.

I haven't moved anything out yet but noticed three[non- scm] in there. gimp_scripts - 2.8 tar a 7zip file and planet X.mm a MM file both of which I have had since 2012. Also a Gmic logos presets a Gmic file This one I have had since 2015.
Should they be in there?
Has he got 32bit portables?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:48 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
Rod wrote:
sallyanne wrote:

Try this

I haven't moved anything out yet but noticed three[non- scm] in there. gimp_scripts - 2.8 tar a 7zip file and planet X.mm a MM file both of which I have had since 2012. Also a Gmic logos presets a Gmic file This one I have had since 2015.
Should they be in there?
Has he got 32bit portables?

The mm file is for mathmap and should be in one of the mathmap/expressions folders. The tar file you should place elsewhere also. The G'MIC presets file works with one of Graechans G'MIC logo filters i think? So that should stay. Looks like Partha no longer has 32 bit portables available. Do you have 64 bit Windows?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

No, I have a 32bit with a 64 processor. Silly me made my pc a 32bit in the beginning not realizing 64 would have been sturdier. Ok will move the mm out first and see what happens.

Yes I thought the G'mic presets may have been for one of graechan's scripts as well for when they moved things around in GMIC.

Just opened up the tar file and saw it was indeed a script. Darla's blue sky & clouds. I got rid of it when I saw I could download just the script and it works fine.

Last edited by sallyanne on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:33 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
No, I have a 32bit with a 64 processor. Silly me made my pc a 32bit in the beginning not realizing 64 would have been sturdier. Ok will move the mm out first and see what happens.

Yes I thought the G'mic presets may have been for one of graechan's scripts as well for when they moved the stuff in GMIC.

Thanks

Shouldn't matter which version you use 32 or 64 bit. Being a Scheme script it works in either or. :)
Now if you have GIMP-2.9 that could be a problem. But your using the GIMP-2.8.18 aren't you? I can only think that another Scheme script is at fault.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:51 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

It works Rod :). I have been going through my scripts one at a time (slow process). and have had enough for now.
Even have some scripts I never use or don't know what they are for :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am  (#16) 
Global Moderator

I still haven't got through all of my scripts but not had any error messages yet but one I found strange. The black gold logo finished with a hexagonal wire background, I did it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke ?
If I can I will put up here tomorrow or later in the week ones that are 'broken' so hopefully people can look at the problem and I need to find out where a couple are situated in the menu.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:31 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

sallyanne wrote:
I still haven't got through all of my scripts but not had any error messages yet but one I found strange. The black gold logo finished with a hexagonal wire background, I did it a couple times to make sure it wasn't a fluke ?
If I can I will put up here tomorrow or later in the week ones that are 'broken' so hopefully people can look at the problem and I need to find out where a couple are situated in the menu.

Good to hear. Just make sure you are running the text to path script after re installing each of your Scheme scripts. :) Just to make sure it's still running flawlessly.