It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help , How to blend
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:28 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hi, im very new to this and trying to place an image with a white background onto a website with a blue background. I need the image to look natural on that webpage with the blue background (not white, as the image currently has). I have the image in both jpeg and png format.

How do I do this please?

Thank you all

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Help , How to blend
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:09 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

if you do not have any special additional requirement:
- open your image
- add Alpha channel (if not yet in)
- select the White BG with the fuzzy select tool
- maybe you have to click on more the one point (mode Add), if the BG is not a single connected area
- edit Cut
you should have now an image with a transparent BG, you can put over the blue BG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:27 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

I prepared a tutorial several years ago for an older version of GIMP, but it's still useful. It uses the steps mentioned by dinasset, but has pictures to go with it. If you would like, I can post the steps/images here.

Art

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:39 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

fp, pls post your tut here, it will be certainly useful with embedded images for the steps

ben, you may post here your image so to play with it

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:54 am  (#5) 
Script Coder

Done. You can find the steps I use here: Background Removal Using the Paths Tool

I'd rate you as an upper-middle-lower-mod with pro-novice-inter tendencies.....and a twist of lime! Of course, my rating scale is completely objectively subjective, but ALWAYS consistently inconsistent.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 am  (#6) 

Thank you so so much for this.
I'll give it a go.

Have a great weekend
Ben

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:59 am  (#7) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
if you do not have any special additional requirement:
- open your image
- add Alpha channel (if not yet in)
- select the White BG with the fuzzy select tool
- maybe you have to click on more the one point (mode Add), if the BG is not a single connected area
- edit Cut
you should have now an image with a transparent BG, you can put over the blue BG

Guaranteed blocky edges or faint white rim with this technique though. Try instead:
  • open your image
  • add Alpha channel (if not yet in)
  • select the White BG with the fuzzy select tool
  • maybe you have to click on more the one point (mode Add), if the BG is not a single connected area
  • Warning: methods start being different from this point
  • Select>Grow by two pixels, so that the selection includes the border of the subject.
  • Colors>Color to alpha and remove white
The barely more complex technique handles correctly the pixels on the edges of the subject. These are a blend of the subject color and the background color, for a smooth-looking edge. Color-to-alpha replaces them by the color of the subject, and the appropriate amount of transparency, so when the image goes over a new background, you get a blend of the subject color and the new background, resulting in a smooth edge again.