It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Resizing Images
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:38 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.18
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 10
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm a new user at GIMP and I'm having a bit of an issue with resizing images.

I'm using GIMP 2.8.18.

I'm a computer programmer and I'm trying to resize an image to be 1.6 X 2.3 CMs so that I can use it in one of our applications.

If I resize the image using the scale image option and choose a width of 1.6 CMs, then the image is resized and it looks like it is 1.6 CMs based on the GIMP ruler on screen.

I then export that image as a JPG and open it up in MS paint and it is actually a lot bigger than 1.6 CMs.

I know that the pixel size I'm looking for is 59X84 pixels; if I scale the image in GIMP and set the width pixel size to be 59, then the image appears extremely small at 100% in GIMP, but when I export it to a JPG and open it in Paint, it is exactly 1.6CMs as expected.

I've done a monitor calibration within GIMP and when I set the canvas to 100% and the units to CM, I have verified with a ruler that 1CM on screen is 1CM in real life.

Am I missing something?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Resizing Images
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:10 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Providing your image is 59x84 pix and you have not tried to fudge it somehow ;)

Go to Image -> Print Size and set the width to 1.6 cm. Height might not be exactly 2.3 but keep the X and Y resolutions equal.

That setting is maintained when you export the image.

Still in Gimp, Go to View menu and untick Dot for Dot, set zoom to 100% and (providing your monitor is calibrated) the image will show at the printable size. Remember to turn Dot for Dot back on for editing.

Attachment:
printsize.jpg
printsize.jpg [ 71.82 KiB | Viewed 3437 times ]

Going to be used in an application? Then surely you should not be using real world units of dimension and probably not Windows paint.

Post subject: Re: Resizing Images
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:28 am  (#3) 

Thanks rich2005, that works fine.

to clarify, I had an HD image that had been provided by our marketing department, but the language that I'm currently using doesn't resize an image to fit and so I had to manually resize it.

I knew the pixel size I needed and so I used the GIMP scale image tool to match the pixels that I required. This worked find and the image now fits as required.

I double-clicked on the image in windows by accident and it opened up in paint; it was then that I noticed that although I'd set the pixels to what I wanted and the actual image appeared correctly in the 1.6 cm box I had, in Paint it was actually showing as larger than 1.6 cm.

Setting the print size resolved this.

It wasn't really causing me an issue, but I was interested in why it was different; I figured it would be worth understanding how it worked just in case it ever tripped me up in the future!!

Thanks again for the help.