It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! Resolution problems when exporting as PDF
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:56 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

O.K, I have been using Gimp for a few years now, working on basic layered files with a simple photo on a black layer, cropping images and flattening then I export them as PNG files. I have been sending these to a printer to have prints made of my artwork, no problems. HOWEVER I have recently had to use a new print company and they require PDFs, but when I export from Gimp as a PDF, it seems the DPI drops from 300 to 100. I am meticulous when I create the files, and change resolution in the drop down image menu etc, but when I go to reopen the PDF file the 300 DPI has changed. I am going crazy trying to figure out the problem, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Help! Resolution problems when exporting as PDF
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:58 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

The Gimp default for opening a PDF is 100 dpi. Up to you to choose a value for the print size.

That does not mean that the PDF has been scaled down. Make an image with say the A5 template which is 300 dpi and that is the size that the PDF reports and the printer will use.
Attachment:
100pdf.jpg
100pdf.jpg [ 46.2 KiB | Viewed 9709 times ]

For a commercial printer, sometimes better to use a proper DTP application such as Scribus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:32 am  (#3) 

Hi!!!! Thanks so much for replying, this has been driving me crazy. O.K, very good to know that the Gimp default for viewing a PDF file is 100. I have been pulling my hair out thinking that Gimp was compressing the work I had initially done on the file when I exported as a PDF, and the print company hasn't been able to help because they can't see the DPI on the file and have no idea about GIMP. Just out of interest why does the image you attached show 300DPI on the right hand image? isn't this contradictory to the fact that the default is 100. Your message made total sense to me apart from the attached example on the right. Thanks again for replying, you've no idea how much I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:59 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

iamstuck wrote:
Just out of interest why does the image you attached show 300DPI on the right hand image?

The dialogue opens with a default of 100dpi. But this can be changed to 300. You will see that the image size in pixels (width, height) increases accordngly.