It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rotate image that was pasted into selectiom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.I want to rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the selection,but not move the selection at all.I see that I can move the pasted image inside the selection with the move tool,but can't rotate it without moving the selection .I know that in Photoshop it's possible,but I can't figure out how to do it in gimp....and the anchor doesn't help. becuse after anchoring the selection rotates also,but I can't do the rotation before anchor too-it makes everything a mess.Is it even possible in gimp?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: rotate image that was pasted into selectiom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

It seems you're making it harder to obtain a specific result by pasting into a selection. Why not create a mask from the selection, instead? That way you can paste your image wherever you want, then recall your mask, convert it to a selection, afterwards. You'll at least be able to manipulate the layer where the image is pasted (rotating, etc) and still maintain the selection as you are wishing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

ok don't sure I understood,please tell me what to do with steps.I have a quarter of a circle-that's the selection- I selected it by color-I paste into this quarter an image-I want to manipulate the image with rotating it-without any changes of the selected quarter-the purpose is to find the right look and copy-flip and make a mandala as a result.I tried with the mask-but without success-please if you understand what I'm trying to do-give me steps of what I should do-because masks it's something that is hard to me to understand.thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:48 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

Do you have an example of what you are trying to achieve along with the xcf file of what you are working on, currently?(must be zipped to be placed in a post on GIMP Chat)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

When I paste into another image, I use "paste as" and choose layer. That way the pasted image can be moved, etc. without bothering the main image or selection, or vice versa. I use lots of layers. That way you can go back and tweak, delete, change things without having to redo the entire image.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 am  (#6) 
Global Moderator

Right, and using a mask (or rendering a selection to a path) allows you to recall the selection to be used repeatedly, without changing the orientation of the selection. Good point, Pat625!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

First of all thanks for the helping.I added the file with the basic template.I choose the 1/8 of the circle by color and then paste an image into it-I want to have full freedom to manipulate the pasted image without affect on the 1/8 of circle selection

Attachments:
drawing11.zip [9.48 KiB]
Downloaded 226 times
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Mahvin. I know that you are correct about the mask. Every time I use one I need to recheck the instructions. Usually just use to reveal color, or change color. It is not second nature to me yet. I am not comfortable with them as I am not using them often. I need to as they are helpful. Gee. . .I wonder if any body feels like making a tutorial for using masks?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 am  (#9) 
Global Moderator

They abound all over YouTube, but I think the more specific mask tutorial should be done by method of usefulness, rather than simply recoloring eyes in a black and white photo, or making a rose red in a black and white.

alin32, back to you: do you have an example image of what you are trying to achieve? I think I get that you might want to retain the selection but be able to rotate it over an image to make additional image selections? I just want to make sure I am answering your question properly. You can rotate a path on an image easily. An example would help me get straight to the point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 am  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Here is an example of that rotation of a path.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:35 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Hi what I'm trying to do is what one guy showed in ytube.he created digital mandala in photoshop.he had quarter of a circle that he selected by color and then he pasted into that circle an image-he manipulated the image in every way he wanted-rotation etc....without affecting the selection of the quarter itself,when he got the right look of the pasted image inside the selection he copied and flipped it.etc...until he had full mandala-circle.Im rying to do the same in gimp-have a photo want to paste it into quarter of circle-manipulate the image in full freedom...but in gimp I don't have this full freedom.and I tried the masks and paste as layer-but I don't achieve the result.I attach in zip file the template of the quarter i'm working with.thank you for the help.

Attachments:
drawing11.zip [9.48 KiB]
Downloaded 90 times
drawing11.zip [9.48 KiB]
Downloaded 95 times
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 am  (#12) 
Global Moderator

Can you show me the YouTube link?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:43 am  (#13) 
Global Moderator

Ok, I think I found the tutorial in question, give me a few minutes to process this information and get you the information you need.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:52 am  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Don't paste the image into the 1/8 circle. Put it in a layer of its own above the 1/8 circle. Use (Edit > Paste As > New Layer). You can now move and rotate the image.
Be sure to Save you work as a xcf file to preserve your layers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 am  (#15) 
Global Moderator

Ok, first off, you don't need to paste the image at all. Simply have one background image, like this skyline example, and use the pie path selection to "select" a rotated portion of the skyline. The skyline image is the only layer you rotate, the selection remains static.

Once you have your slice of picture pie, simply duplicate the layer, and then rotate that layer by moving the centering guide I showed in an earlier post. Duplicate that pie slice 3 times (or 7 times if using 1/8th slices instead of quarter slices) to get the desired digital mandala.

I have to head off to work, and I will make a short GIMP video tutorial on this when I return this evening. Unless someone else wants to clarify those steps if you need more help.

Last edited by mahvin on Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 am  (#16) 
GimpChat Member

thanks a lot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:10 am  (#17) 
GimpChat Member

ok so i'm still don't know what to do .if i have this picture I at ached and I want to create mandala from it.what steps I shold do.the background picture attached as zip file.sorry I still didn't understood what I should do/

Attachments:
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 1688 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:20 am  (#18) 
Global Moderator

Hopefully others will be able to chime in and help, alin32, I'm currently away from my computer and won't be able to "show" the steps until I return home this evening. We got plenty of GIMP gurus here, though. So that's a good thing!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:31 pm  (#19) 
GimpChat Member

It is a little bit different in GIMP, and actually easier.
You basically want to rotate the image UNDER the mask.

Here is PS tut
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is the GIMP tutorial

Open your image
Create a new black layer

Example in GIMP with a layer mask full white opacity with a triangular shaped black fill for transparency to the bottom layer. Get the triangular shape from your template. Select the mask on the layer and fill with black. This creates your transparent window.

Rotate or move the image however you need.
Now when you got the colors or pattern you want.
Right click the mask layer and select apply layer mask. This places your pie area on a black area.
Select the black color
Select the image layer under the mask layer and right click and select layer to image size. Then delete. You may also have to add an alpha channel before deleting the selected area around the pie shape.
Select>none
Now delete the mask layer.
Select the image layer - layer to image size - and do a Layer>Autocrop layer
You now have a piece of pie to copy and flip however you want.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:58 pm  (#20) 
GimpChat Member

Another from your above image.

I am off to bed and then work after. I will see you guys tomorrow. :seeya