It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:15 am

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: rotate image that was pasted into selectiom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:13 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello I pasted into a selection an image,so now its floating selection.I want to rotate not the selection but to rotate the image that I have pasted into the selection,but not move the selection at all.I see that I can move the pasted image inside the selection with the move tool,but can't rotate it without moving the selection .I know that in Photoshop it's possible,but I can't figure out how to do it in gimp....and the anchor doesn't help. becuse after anchoring the selection rotates also,but I can't do the rotation before anchor too-it makes everything a mess.Is it even possible in gimp?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: rotate image that was pasted into selectiom
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:02 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

It seems you're making it harder to obtain a specific result by pasting into a selection. Why not create a mask from the selection, instead? That way you can paste your image wherever you want, then recall your mask, convert it to a selection, afterwards. You'll at least be able to manipulate the layer where the image is pasted (rotating, etc) and still maintain the selection as you are wishing to do.

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
~ Miguel de Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

ok don't sure I understood,please tell me what to do with steps.I have a quarter of a circle-that's the selection- I selected it by color-I paste into this quarter an image-I want to manipulate the image with rotating it-without any changes of the selected quarter-the purpose is to find the right look and copy-flip and make a mandala as a result.I tried with the mask-but without success-please if you understand what I'm trying to do-give me steps of what I should do-because masks it's something that is hard to me to understand.thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:48 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Do you have an example of what you are trying to achieve along with the xcf file of what you are working on, currently?(must be zipped to be placed in a post on GIMP Chat)

~ Miguel de Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:37 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

When I paste into another image, I use "paste as" and choose layer. That way the pasted image can be moved, etc. without bothering the main image or selection, or vice versa. I use lots of layers. That way you can go back and tweak, delete, change things without having to redo the entire image.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:44 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Right, and using a mask (or rendering a selection to a path) allows you to recall the selection to be used repeatedly, without changing the orientation of the selection. Good point, Pat625!

~ Miguel de Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:49 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

First of all thanks for the helping.I added the file with the basic template.I choose the 1/8 of the circle by color and then paste an image into it-I want to have full freedom to manipulate the pasted image without affect on the 1/8 of circle selection

Attachments:
drawing11.zip [9.48 KiB]
Downloaded 23 times
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:55 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Thank you, Mahvin. I know that you are correct about the mask. Every time I use one I need to recheck the instructions. Usually just use to reveal color, or change color. It is not second nature to me yet. I am not comfortable with them as I am not using them often. I need to as they are helpful. Gee. . .I wonder if any body feels like making a tutorial for using masks?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

They abound all over YouTube, but I think the more specific mask tutorial should be done by method of usefulness, rather than simply recoloring eyes in a black and white photo, or making a rose red in a black and white.

alin32, back to you: do you have an example image of what you are trying to achieve? I think I get that you might want to retain the selection but be able to rotate it over an image to make additional image selections? I just want to make sure I am answering your question properly. You can rotate a path on an image easily. An example would help me get straight to the point.

~ Miguel de Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Here is an example of that rotation of a path.

~ Miguel de Cervantes