It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Projects Help needed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:39 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I am a beginner to Graphics, I would like to know what are the kind of Graphics works can be made using GIMP & Inkscape, how to land Freelance Projects using GIMPChat or Facebook and get paid successfully. Looking forward for all your wonderful replies.

Thanks & regards
K.Sujatha

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Projects Help needed
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:05 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

All of the banners above have been made using gimp.
'Lurifax' has a thread viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9800&p=199159&hilit=Blender#p199159 that is mostly their Blender artwork. (Looks like that person has left but the posts are still there)

If you want to get paid for anything you do you will have to put your work 'out there' in a lot of places and there are sites where you can advertise your skills etc. Also Deviant Art https://www.deviantart.com/checkout/?mx ... &point=ads have a place where you can try to sell your art, you may need Premium membership though. There may be other places. I don't know.

I guess if you really want you could pay to get your art at the top of search in Google etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:02 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Sujatha wrote:
I am a beginner to Graphics [...snip...] and get paid successfully.

There are plenty of people out there who aren't beginners and still struggling to make a living from graphics. You need to be either very talented, very experienced, or very good good at selling your stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:44 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

ofnuts wrote:
Sujatha wrote:

There are plenty of people out there who aren't beginners and still struggling to make a living from graphics. You need to be either very talented, very experienced, or very good good at selling your stuff.

:bigthup

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:23 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
Sujatha wrote:

Not to mention many places will outbid you for sales. I used to work for a company named "O Desk". You actually get paid to do work for clients. I believe it is now named "upwork". You can take graphic software knowledge tests there and clients will pick you by viewing your past clients, and performance. The tests include knowledge of Photoshop and printing skills. Payment is direct deposit to PayPal or your checking account.
GIMP is not used there widely but can be and i have successfully. Inkscape is great for logos, and scalable illustrations. My advice is to check out Heathen X Inkscape podcast here.
http://screencasters.heathenx.org/ --> 106 episodes / tutorials on Inkscape and its tools.

When i worked on O Desk my biggest barrier was job bidding. You select a job from a list and contact the client with your bid and experience levels. If you are selected the client will ask you for your samples. BUT if you bid too high you will lose the contract. Some of these guys bid PENNIES on the dollar so be forewarned.

IT IS NOT EASY TO DESIGN GRAPHIC ART FOR SALE!

Most of my money was made creating Flash advertisement for in store televised ads on monitors.

I recommend you do the same. Find a FREE or cheap FLASH designer software and learn it well. I made 14 USD per hour minimum. And that was 16 years ago.

:lol i still have my account there. Thats pretty nifty! :)

Hrmmm.. maybe i will bid on one and see if i get a nibble. My skills are with Adobe PS CS2 though. Pretty old skill set. I do still have SwIsH 4 installed though.

There are other job sites like O Desk/upwork. Just google for a few and check them out. But like i mentioned before its a cruel market.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:42 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

You can also use Gimp for digital painting and creating digitally painted images, although most of the pro's use other software.

Good luck with your endeavours though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thank u so much friends for all your replies.

Post subject: Hi - Need Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I would like to work as a Freelancer using only open source softwares for Graphics. Friends, pls tell me
1. What are latest trend in Graphics?.
2. What are all the open source softwares that can be used to design the graphics?
3. Right now got confused between where to start my career in graphics whether to start designing brochures,flyers or art or 3D ,etc,.
4. How to rate my work whether it is per project or pay per hour?.
Need your valuable suggestions.
Hope i didnt take too much of precious time by posing so many questions. Since i am new to graphics, i would like to clarify all my doubts.
Thank u

Post subject: Re: Hi - Need Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:41 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Sujatha wrote:
I would like to work as a Freelancer using only open source softwares for Graphics. Friends, pls tell me
1. What are latest trend in Graphics?.
2. What are all the open source softwares that can be used to design the graphics?
3. Right now got confused between where to start my career in graphics whether to start designing brochures,flyers or art or 3D ,etc,.
4. How to rate my work whether it is per project or pay per hour?.
Need your valuable suggestions.
Hope i didnt take too much of precious time by posing so many questions. Since i am new to graphics, i would like to clarify all my doubts.
Thank u

1) The latest trends are going to be what ever the customer or client wants. Unless you are going for a certain type of graphic and sticking with only that like say bottle cap covers. Those were pretty popular for a while.
2) GIMP and Inkscape, Scribus are all open source and definitely usable for production work for vector, and raster designs.
3) I can't tell you what TYPE of graphic to start with. My advice is to pick one type and stick with it. Get GOOD at it.
4) As far as pay that is always negotiable with clients. Start out by selling to friends and family first. Then maybe a Facebook page. Possibly even your OWN website. Get the word out and tell your friends and family to do the same. I got quite a few website design jobs this way. As i mentioned before though sign up for jobs at places like i stated above. Its free to sign up and who knows. If your skills are really good you may get a lot of work by word of mouth.
5) Remember most clientele will want you to work with software they own already. So they can tweak PSD or XCF, and SVG files. Ask them to download and install GIMP and Inkscape. Its a free install so maybe they will try it.
However i have found that most of my customers liked to work with PSD (Photoshop Document Files), because they have Photoshop and know it well.
You can search on job websites you sign up for with search words like GIMP and Inkscape to see if any clients need work using these open source programs.
6) DON'T be discouraged if you get turned down numerous times by these online clients when they view your sample work.
7) You can set up FREE website pages to sell a certain kind of graphic also. There are many ways to get graphic work. The best way i found though is to actually sign up for a few job sites and create a few samples REALLY GOOD ONES preferably in SVG or EPS. Make about 10-15 logos. Make copies of each with different colors, fills, and strokes. Then bid on jobs that interest you. Sometimes on these sites you can land a job that is permanent. Most of the time though these jobs are between 10-25 USD per logo.Sometimes more. The client WILL have a budget price.
What ever you decide i wish you much luck and success. Its a hard road for sure. That's why i stuck with Flash design.I got the most customers at good pay designing Flash websites and advertisements. Plus i loved the work. And that is always a plus! :bigthup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:59 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thank u so much Rod for a detailed explanation.