It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: File -> Save All
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:49 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.20
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Can "File -> Save As" xcf.bzip2 or xcf.gzip compression be influenced with something like the environmental variables (BZIP2 or GZIP) or given options?

I have multiple files opened and I can't tell which ones have been modified. What should my eyes be looking for to indicate which images have been modified? It would be nice if the tabs for the images that have been changed were a different color (i.e., red).

Is there a way to "Save All" in Gimp ---- just Save All to nameN.xcf.gz?

If not from the GUI, is there a way to "Save All" files, current_name.xcf to current_name.xcf.bzip2, from the command line?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: File -> Save All
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:17 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

When an image needs to be saved it has an asterisk in front of its name in the title bar. For a more synthetic list, you can open the Python console and enter this:

for i in gimp.image_list():print i.name,i.dirty

then hit [enter] twice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:29 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

'I have multiple files opened'. Are you working on just one masterpiece at a time or do you work on more than one?
Not sure why you are compressing your Gimp xcf files? I think xcf's are just used by Gimp and not much else.
Once you are finished your Gimp project (XCF) you mostly 'export as' one of the popular image/animation formats like JPEG, GIF, PNG
etc.
Looking at the files you have saved with a file manager set to 'details' will give you the time and date the files were created.
Right-clicking a file and looking at the file properties will also give you this information.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts wrote:
When an image needs to be saved it has an asterisk in front of its name in the title bar. For a more synthetic list, you can open the Python console and enter this:

for i in gimp.image_list():print i.name,i.dirty

then hit [enter] twice.

So I have to click on each tab and look at the window's titlebar for an asterisk. HHHmmm...., I like that command. Is there a way in Gimp to save commands like that, to recall within the python console. I suppose you have to turn it into a plug-in. This is something I can see using a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:00 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Tas_mania wrote:
'I have multiple files opened'. Are you working on just one masterpiece at a time or do you work on more than one?
Not sure why you are compressing your Gimp xcf files?

One of the reasons I have multiple files open is if I'm scanning a lot or taking screenshots. And that part of the process is setup to be sort of automatic. I just open or send-to all the files to gimp and crop, transform and then save the "original" as xcf. It would be sooo nice if I could just say "Save All as xcf", but I have to click each tab and File -> Save. I try to remember to do the save after the modifications and then I can just safely close Gimp. If I miss any, I get the dialog. It would be nice if I could ensure all are saved before hand (that's where the above command could come in handy). I have been compressing the xcf files external to gimp and thought why not just use gimps' and skip a step.

This sound like it might be an option too: http://www.shallowsky.com/software/gimp-save/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:21 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Why can't you open them all in GIMP as layers and save the one file as an XCF?

Last edited by Rod on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

There is a file you can download (a compressd py file, along with documentation) here: http://gimpscripts.com/2015/03/save-all/

Although as far as I know you can only save as .xcf's

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:53 am  (#8) 
Script Coder

Tas_mania wrote:
Not sure why you are compressing your Gimp xcf files? I think xcf's are just used by Gimp and not much else.

Because XCFs can be huge and compressing them reduces them to about 1/3 of the size. Compression or nor compression, it's a matter of CPU available vs disk available, but these days the CPU used for compression is negligible, and although local storage is plentiful and cheap, network storage is still dependent on a limited bandwidth.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:45 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Because XCFs can be huge and compressing them reduces them to about 1/3 of the size.

Your right. I remember working on a clock face with a internal error that was hogging 100% of the CPU cycles.
It bought me to a halt. It was my error and not Gimps.

I tend to think this is a workflow issue. If he has a lot of compressed XCF's that are part of the same project, he is going to have to expand them all and create a single XCF. If they are from different projects, the answer is easy. :)