It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp was suggested to me
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:32 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello - I am a brand new user to Gimp. Can someone let me know if Gimp is both a vector and photo editing software in one?

I would like to make 8 x 10" digital art, that one can print out, sort of like images with different quotes in the middle, so a combination of images and text. I would also like to be able to do different things with text, like have it follow a path, and maybe fill the text with images.

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp was suggested to me
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:44 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
maisie_1 wrote:

Hello - I am a brand new user to Gimp. Can someone let me know if Gimp is both a vector and photo editing software in one?

I would like to make 8 x 10" digital art, that one can print out, sort of like images with different quotes in the middle, so a combination of images and text. I would also like to be able to do different things with text, like have it follow a path, and maybe fill the text with images.

Thanks!

GIMP is mainly a raster-based graphics editor.
However,
it does offer some path creating ability and text rendering as well.

Inkscape is a free and open-source vector graphics editor.
If you're looking for a purely "vector-based" program,
Inkscape would work well for you and also in conjunction with GIMP.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

maisie_1 wrote:

Thanks!

If you want to do a lot with paths i suggest Ofnuts path files also. His python scripts/filters add a whole new dimension to GIMPs path capabilities.
Just search his tools page here for one you like.
http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/
And the downloads files list is here.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-p ... s/scripts/

I do also highly recommend Inkscape. Its free open source vector software and very powerful.
Some great tutorials on using Inkscapes tools can be found here.
http://screencasters.heathenx.org/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Welcome to GimpChat Maisie_1 :).

I'm not as knowledgeable in Gimp as others on here but I know you can definitely have your text follow a path.

Happy Gimping!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:56 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

You can do basic text/image collages in both applications, Inkscape and Gimp fairly easily.
I´d say it would be little easier to begin with Inkscape, and clipping images inside shapes or text require only one click.
But I hope you fiddle with both great programs, and you will always find help in the forums if You bump to a problem.
Welcome!