It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Color Management - Matching Gimp to Print
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:33 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Windows 8.1
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Attachment:
File comment: Copy of settings
GimpChat CM PDF.pdf [37.7 KiB]
Downloaded 320 times
OK ...I am having a lot of trouble matching the gimp onscreen colors with the output from my crappy Epson XP200 printer. I have attached a file showing the settings Im using. Hot pink is the worst color. On screen it is...hot pink when it prints its a dull shade. Ive tried everything...I cant get it do anything....HEEEEE
LLLLPPPP

The printer dialog has two canned options: Epson Vivid (which prints a bright version) and AdobeRGB which prints the above mentioned crappy dull shade. It also comes with two profiles: EpsonRGB and Epson IJ Printer 07.icc

I dont care whether gimp matches the printer or the other way round....just so it is close.

Can you help?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Color Management - Matching Gimp to Print
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Colour management is a real pita unless you are willing to do some real calibration.

you did read the gimp docs? https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-imaging-c ... ement.html

but for real world info try http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... oofing.htm

What you really need is a monitor profile something.icm. Some makes provide them, I have an llyama monitor like that. This portable - nothing - so would need a calibration device. Some information here:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... ration.htm
and even using their simple brightness adjustment will make a difference. Your bright pink might not be so bright with some adjustment.

Image profile? Gimp uses sRGB internally whatever the profile that comes with the image. IMHO you might as well use sRGB.

Your printer profile(s), probably a general best-guess since printing paper characteristics as well as the printer inks determine the icc to use. Maybe some details in the printer manual.

Once you have your monitor/screen calibrated then try the Epson icc in the soft proof section and use
View -> Display Filters which might look like for color-managed

Attachment:
manage.jpg
manage.jpg [ 80.07 KiB | Viewed 5670 times ]

but like this for soft-proof (how it prints, not quite as bright).
Attachment:
proof.jpg
proof.jpg [ 67.16 KiB | Viewed 5670 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:12 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I thought most printers just use the sRGB profile.
If a photo with the sRGB profile goes to a printer using AdobeRGB the colours will look dull. I have a photographer friend and he finds it easier to stick with sRGB as much as possible. Is there a forum for epson printer users?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:36 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Born2BeMild wrote:
I thought most printers just use the sRGB profile.
If a photo with the sRGB profile goes to a printer using AdobeRGB the colours will look dull. I have a photographer friend and he finds it easier to stick with sRGB as much as possible. Is there a forum for epson printer users?

For home printing probably not going to make much difference, use sRGB throughout, although Epson does have its own range of inks and matching paper, guessing that is where the Epson vivid profile comes in.

Worth checking if you get something printed commercially. As an example this company provides printer profiles for its printing service. http://www.digitalab.co.uk/downloads/