It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting Aircraft for X-Plane
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:50 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello everyone! I am new to Gimp and new to graphic editing in general. I am very much a noob but not a noob to computers. I'm a computer consultant for networking so I consider myself techincal but I don't understand anything about graphics editors as of yet. Please be kind! :)

I have a project that I am trying to do just for fun. I have an airplane that I am trying to make a livery for that I have a picture of for reference. I have a plain white image of the plane with all the rivets and detailing done and what I'm trying to do is just lay down some color over the white but not lose the detailing of the rivets. I saw a demonstration of this with Photoshop using a layer mode called color burn. I notice that Gimp has a couple called Burn and Dodge but I couldn't really get the same type of results I was seeing in the photoshop demo so I figured I'd post here.

I'm basically just trying something simple .. I want to overlay a royal blue color on the top half of the fuselage and not lose the riveting on the plane. I added a transparency layer to the image and played around with some modes etc but I am just not getting the look I want. I almost want to just infuse the color over top of the white on the plane.

I'm not really sure how to do inline images on here like the others have. It looks like I have to host them somewhere on a server and then link to them?

Anyway I'm excited to play around with Gimp and maybe learn a new skill along the way.

Thank you!
Rich

PS I will upload the image of what I'm trying to accomplish

Attachments:
File comment: final goal
midwest.png
midwest.png [ 666.88 KiB | Viewed 5158 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Painting Aircraft for X-Plane
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:35 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

FWIW my tuppence worth.

The actual base image will help, perhaps. It could do with being larger than the posted image. Does it have appropriate shading?

Since you are new to Gimp and any learning curve is going to be steep, you might as well dive in at the deep end and start using the development version of Gimp, Gimp version 2.9.5 which is quite stable in use. The Windows version will co-exist (I think) with your existing 2.8.14 (why old version ?)

Advantages are, many of the tools now work directly on the canvas and make it easier to get a match. Thinking mainly of the gradient tool, also there are many more layer modes, maybe one will fit your project.

I use linux but for a Windows 2.9.5 see: http://www.partha.com

You might get better replies when you can post your base image. Use dropbox or similar and post a link.

Attachment:
use-gimp295.jpg
use-gimp295.jpg [ 173.07 KiB | Viewed 5122 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Yes that is correct - I tried to post the base texture image but it was apparently too large. I do have a dropbox account so I will set that up tonight when I get home.

Thank you for the suggestion on the development version - I will download and install that. Features only get better right? :)

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:49 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Ok trying to post with a dropbox link and the forum software won't allow it: "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs"

So now what?

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:30 am  (#5) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
rwebb616 wrote:
Ok trying to post with a dropbox link and the forum software won't allow it: "Your post looks too spamy for a new user, please remove off-site URLs"

So now what?

Rich

You need to make 5 posts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm.. that seems rather pointless :)
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Here is post 5 - will it let me in this one or will I have to wait for the next one?
Nope... I guess post 6 will.

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:33 am  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

Ok here is post 6:

Here is the link.. the img isn't working: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6mmutctlgb71esw/E1.png?dl=0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:21 am  (#9) 
Administrator

You mean something like this?

Attachment:
E1a.xcf [2.46 MiB]
Downloaded 192 times

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:46 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Had a look for x-plane examples last night before packing in. A new day and it does not look like the template/map whatever you call it, is particularly fussy about boundaries except of course between colour details.

This on an airbus and the colouring goes outside the area of the structure. Also white background and transparency for details which if there is a big plus.

example. http://i.imgur.com/6GJdvPg.jpg

A lot of tedious painting involved but paint on a new transparent layer over the template. For Gimp 2.8.x put the layer in multiply mode. For Gimp 2.9.5 use the (default) Linear Burn mode. Seems to be a large x-plane forum probably the best place for advice.

example in Gimp 2.9.5 http://i.imgur.com/BPqxW3V.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:

Thank you for the example!

This is exactly what I'm talking about.. I downloaded your example file and I'm just trying to recreate it in 2.9.5 and I can't seem to get the same result even by setting the modes on the two layers..

Is there anything you did besides the layer modes?

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:47 pm  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
A lot of tedious painting involved but paint on a new transparent layer over the template. For Gimp 2.8.x put the layer in multiply mode. For Gimp 2.9.5 use the (default) Linear Burn mode. Seems to be a large x-plane forum probably the best place for advice.

Thank you for the examples. I've tried the linear burn on 2.9.5 and I can't seem to get the same result.

What I'm doing is just a selection and then fill selection with foreground (on the new transparent layer in linear burn mode) and it just doesn't look right. I'll play around with some colors - maybe my coloring is just off.

Thanks for all the help guys - enjoying learning something new!

Rich

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:00 pm  (#13) 
Administrator

rwebb616 wrote:
Wallace wrote:

Thank you for the example!

This is exactly what I'm talking about..
I downloaded your example file and I'm just trying to recreate it in 2.9.5 and I can't seem to get the same result even by setting the modes on the two layers..

Is there anything you did besides the layer modes?

Rich

In addition to the layer modes.
I lowered the opacity of the layer,
that was set to layer mode Multiply.