It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: getting gimp GUI actions displayed in script-form in terminal?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:55 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

There is a "verbose console" option in the GMIC plugin so you can get to see the GMIC commands executed in the linux console / terminal to make a batch script with later (yes BATCH for multiple files).

Anyways, isn't there a way to get GIMP to also spit out the script version of your GUI actions in terminal? That is key to my success here!
If I use:
terminal$ gimp --verbose --console-messages

I don't get the exact actions like gimp-brightness-contrast 10 09 it sends out some other encapsulating gibberish that can't be used in a script file. How do I get
GIMP actions to be displayed in terminal with one's unique variables just as I mentioned GMIC does so nicely with its verbose console option? Seriously why is this info so hard to dig out? lol

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: getting gimp GUI actions displayed in script-form in terminal?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

No, there isn't. GMIC is a different animal, it also exists as a command line utility, so all its filters (that are all its actions) can be described as a command and a reasonable bunch of parameters. This is not the case in Gimp (think about a brush stroke...).

The key to you success is learning a modicum of Python (which is now taught as a first programming language in many computer classes, because it is easy to learn) and find your way in the Gimp API like you found your way in the Gimp UI. This we can help with. Unleash the power in Gimp and in yourself.

Post subject: Re: getting gimp GUI actions displayed in script-form in terminal?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:42 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts I have a question though. I do have a vague appreciation and understanding of Python.
i am just curious for example...

I suppose I will just try and succeed at it but I will probably fail unless someone can help me with at least one example, I've tried and failed miserably a few weeks ago it was terribly disheartening

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:44 am  (#4) 
Script Coder

Plenty of examples there:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-to ... s/scripts/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gimp-pa ... s/scripts/

If you fail without asking questions, no one can help.

Word of caution, though:
- Python is very easy to learn, and you can write code very quickly
- The Gimp API isn't that hard to understand/figure out
- Python+Gimp+Windows is hard, because you can't see the program output unless you take special precautions. It is much easier in Linux and OSX. But it can be workable in Windows: see http://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Debugg ... in-Windows

(I also answers questions quicker on gimp-forum.net)