It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help creating old war wool textures
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:34 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hi :)

I have a photo that has been sitting for years while I sharpen my restoration skills. It is a picture of my grandfather who was killed in WWII. The picture was damaged when I was child. A freaking cat peed on it. It ended up stuck to its frame and much of it became horribly discoloured.

There is only one small patch of his uniform that shows the actual colour of it. So I need to create a wool texture with those colours so I can completely re-do his whole uniform. I've been able to create a decent basic weave but I'm not exactly sure how to create a wool one.

Any help would be vastly, stupendously, immensely appreciated.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Need help creating old war wool textures
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:19 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Plenty of ways to create seamless textures depending on the target. Please share a swab (image) and I'll try to make it seamless and explain the steps I used. Some tools that can be helpful, by the way, is Resynthesizer for starters.

I do have to add that I work weekend swings, so if you post the swab too late, I may not get to it until late Friday evening. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:02 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi.
You can pretty much colorize this seamless wool pattern any color or shade you need. I created this one in Filter Forge 6 Pro.
Welcome to Gimp Chat by the way. :)

Attachment:
gray-wool_RD.png
gray-wool_RD.png [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 5721 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm  (#4) 

Thanks :) I spent some time last night following a youtube clip of a a guy that create multiple layers and creates something similar.

And thank you for the welcome :)