It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Filter All Layers . 'plug-in-map -object' .. not working.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:08 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 64
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I've encountered this problem before, but decided to try a tutorial out thinking maybe it was a problem with the previous version, so what I'm doing is making a cube with 3 different 150 x 150 px pictures on the sides (obviously 2 pics each for the requisite number of cube faces), then once I've made the cube (using the normal Filters>Map>Map Object tool) I then duplicate the image about 40 times and go to the Filter All Layers dialogue where I choose 'plug-in-map-object' and 'Apply Varying' to get the object to look like it's moving along the Y-axis from a -180 degree all the way to +180 degrees.
Instead of that though the plug-in just alters the first and last layer and leaves everything else as it was. I tried doing a sphere but the same thing happened. Weird because all the other plug-ins work fine in Filter all Layers.. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and whether anyone knows of a possible solution, bearing in mind it happened in 2.8.18 also?

Thanks.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Filter All Layers . 'plug-in-map -object' .. not working.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:16 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Zero01 wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.20
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: Win 10 Pro 64
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

I've encountered this problem before, but decided to try a tutorial out thinking maybe it was a problem with the previous version, so what I'm doing is making a cube with 3 different 150 x 150 px pictures on the sides (obviously 2 pics each for the requisite number of cube faces), then once I've made the cube (using the normal Filters>Map>Map Object tool) I then duplicate the image about 40 times and go to the Filter All Layers dialogue where I choose 'plug-in-map-object' and 'Apply Varying' to get the object to look like it's moving along the Y-axis from a -180 degree all the way to +180 degrees.
Instead of that though the plug-in just alters the first and last layer and leaves everything else as it was. I tried doing a sphere but the same thing happened. Weird because all the other plug-ins work fine in Filter all Layers.. I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem and whether anyone knows of a possible solution, bearing in mind it happened in 2.8.18 also?

Thanks.

Is that the Filter all Layers,
which comes with the GAP Package?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:06 pm  (#3) 
Script Coder

I think the problem was with the Map Object plugin for 2.8, you need to replace with the Map Object plugin from 2.6 (refer rotating Pole tutorial)
I have searched and there may have been a problem with GAP 2.6 so make sure you are using GAP 2.7
I still have a copy of Gap 2.7 in the box GAP 2.7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:08 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Yes the GAP one that's right, ok nice one I'll try the other GAP see what happens and get back to you.. Thanks a lot. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:44 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Didn't work, unfortunately. I've re-installed the 2.6 GAP, tried it again but same problem. I was copying the guy in this video -
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

The process he starts with the GAP Filter all Layers plug-in is at 4 minutes 15 sec.. I followed the instructions to a tee but didn't get the results shown in the vid.

Seems odd - I wonder what the problem could be?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:16 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Not working for me either Graechan. :) Thanks for the GAP-2.7 files though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:33 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Graechan do you have a 64 bit old GIMP-2.6 Map_Object plug-in you can share?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:37 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

here is the one I use (may be 32bit but works fine with 64bit gimp)Map Object

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:41 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Yes that worked. Thank you Graechan. I will post the results when the map-object filter is finished running all the layers. :)
Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:58 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

On a side note i wonder if there is already a zipped package of these two together.
GAP-2.7
Map-Object-2.6

1) I placed the GAP-2.7 executables and dll files in their own sub-folder named GAP in c:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins
2) I placed Graechans Map-Object executable in the c:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins folder
3) I started GIMP-2.8 and pointed Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plug-ins to the GAP folder and restarted GIMP-2.8.

I ran the tutorial as on YouTube and it works fine for me now. :hi5

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:06 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Rod wrote:
On a side note i wonder if there is already a zipped package of these two together.
GAP-2.7
Map-Object-2.6

1) I placed the GAP-2.7 executables and dll files in their own sub-folder named GAP in c:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins
2) I placed Graechans Map-Object executable in the c:\Users\Rod\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins folder
3) I started GIMP-2.8 and pointed Edit>Preferences>Folders>Plug-ins to the GAP folder and restarted GIMP-2.8.

[ Image ]

Well I never.. you live and learn! Looks like I'm going to have to try this myself .. :)

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 am  (#12) 
GimpChat Member

Zero01 wrote:
Rod wrote:
GAP-2.7
Map-Object-2.6

[ Image ]

Well I never.. you live and learn! Looks like I'm going to have to try this myself .. :)

Cheers

:ninja
Not sure what to do about the jaggies on the images though. Maybe fix each layer before exporting to GIF.
You could do this by using a path that is closed and create a selection from it. Then select invert delete. That could use a script itself. :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:14 pm  (#13) 
GimpChat Member

Weird, i did everything you listed out to do, Rod, but to no avail.. still doesn't work. Oh well maybe it's to do with my installation, though I can't see how.. Hmm.. well no doubt there are other ways of achieving the same result so I'll look into those, thanks for your help Rod and Graechan.

Edit: Did I have to delete the GAP plug-ins from the Program Files/GIMP2/lib/plug-ins folder?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:36 pm  (#14) 
GimpChat Member

Zero01 wrote:
Weird, i did everything you listed out to do, Rod, but to no avail.. still doesn't work. Oh well maybe it's to do with my installation, though I can't see how.. Hmm.. well no doubt there are other ways of achieving the same result so I'll look into those, thanks for your help Rod and Graechan.

Edit: Did I have to delete the GAP plug-ins from the Program Files/GIMP2/lib/plug-ins folder?

I would remove them yes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:39 pm  (#15) 
Script Coder

Rod wrote:
Zero01 wrote:
Rod wrote:
GAP-2.7
Map-Object-2.6

[ Image ]

Cheers

:ninja
Not sure what to do about the jaggies on the images though. Maybe fix each layer before exporting to GIF.
You could do this by using a path that is closed and create a selection from it. Then select invert delete. That could use a script itself. :)

Jaggies come from the "binary" transparency of GIF. The only way to avoid them is to use "Layers>Transparency>Semi-flatten" on all of them, but this assumes you know the background color.