It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help! I need to enlarge several pics in sections....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:31 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
None

List any ERROR messages you received:
None

Ok so here's the dilemma....

I have several pics of various sizes that I need to enlarge up to Poster Board size and I'll be printing them at home since they are of Deadpool and Harley Quinn (for my daughter's wedding).
I can't have the local place I go to print them because they are licensed characters and they aren't allowed to.

So anyway, I've been taking each pic and dividing them into 4 equal half parts and then copying each and pasting into an 8.5 x 11 inch size new file, then enlarging to fit that 8.5 x 11.
Problem is when I print them out (and that's a LOT of ink being used) they aren't coming out right. The sides and lines of the pics aren't matching up.

Is there a trick to this? Any suggestions? What am I not doing right?

Please help?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Need help! I need to enlarge several pics in sections....
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Before dividing them put register marks (lines) on them so you know how to cut them after printing. That would leave some bleed area that can be trimmed off each image. I've done that before. You might have to devise a way to erase the marks in the print area leaving the lines around the outer corners.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:08 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Yes as Pegleg mentioned - bleed area. I would also make each one a with an overlapping area on the sides it is to be joined.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

@sallyanne and @pegleg44 Yes I have been using the lines to divide it up but not sure how to make them show on the print itself.
I've decided to not try to go so big on the posters and instead I divided them each only into half, then rotating them (in the new file I copied and pasted into), then cropping the image to the actual size (Shift + Z).
Then when I go to print them on 8.5 x 11 sheets the actual size is now 17 x 22 (approximately). And I'm making sure to not select "Fit to Size".

I'll be Modge-Podging them onto the poster board (btw).

Thank you for your help and for responding back.