It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP, paintbrush, airbrush, eraser, pencil and more tools not working
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:12 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

So I've been working on this drawing and suddenly I can't use the following tools: pencil, airbrush, paintbrush, eraser, smudge and sharpen/blur. Also one of the yellow/black dotted lines around the border has appeared around the border if that's relevant. I've tried fixes for both (I can get line to disappear) but I still can't draw. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted my user profile, tried enlarging the layer, matching the layer to size but still nothing. I then tried opening a new page and the same border was there and I couldn't use the same tools. Any suggestions on how to fix this???

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: HELP, paintbrush, airbrush, eraser, pencil and more tools not work
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
doolfandoms wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 7
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

So I've been working on this drawing and suddenly I can't use the following tools: pencil, airbrush, paintbrush, eraser, smudge and sharpen/blur. Also one of the yellow/black dotted lines around the border has appeared around the border if that's relevant. I've tried fixes for both (I can get line to disappear) but I still can't draw. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted my user profile, tried enlarging the layer, matching the layer to size but still nothing. I then tried opening a new page and the same border was there and I couldn't use the same tools. Any suggestions on how to fix this???

Try and reset all your preferences back to default.

Post subject: Re: HELP, paintbrush, airbrush, eraser, pencil and more tools not work
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:03 am  (#3) 
Global Moderator

Don't forget also, that any tool will only work in a specific selection. So, make sure you have the correct layer selected or don't have a small selection elsewhere that you cannot see. Check select in the menu and if none is highlighted it means you have one. Uncheck it.
I have fallen into this trap many times. Even half way into a project.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:28 pm  (#4) 

neither of those things helped, it's like you can see the paintbrush but not the brush size and still can't see it if you try to adjust the size to make it bigger. it's not even slashed out and saying you can't use it, it just doesn't work. I've been playing around and it turns out I can actually use the more advanced tools like for example soft smudge or splatter brush but still not just the normal smudge or paintbrush. Also when using these more advanced tools I can only make them bigger, not smaller

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:58 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Check to make sure you're in RGB mode. [Image] [Mode] [RGB]

Or maybe you need to uncheck the lock pixels button on the layer dockable dialog.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:21 pm  (#6) 

I am in RGB mode and if the pixels were locked (which they aren't, I checked) there would be that circle with a slash through the middle

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:50 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
As of February 1st, 2017
GIMP 2.8.20 is the current stable release.

I haven't updated yet,
I'm still running GIMP 2.8.19.
which has been working just fine for me.

Perhaps updating your gimp,
with the most recent version will solve this issue?

However.
I would avoid reusing your current GIMP User Profile,
with any new installation of GIMP.

One more thing you can try.
Is to create a new GIMP User Profile.

Most of the time,
creating a new GIMP User Profile.
Can correct many issues within GIMP's interface.

You can create a new GIMP User Profile,
by renaming the current profile.

For example:
if I were to rename my current profile.
Located at "C:\Users\Wallace\.gimp-2.8"
I would rename it something like,
.gimp-2.8_old.

Once you rename your current user profile.
Starting GIMP will create a new GIMP User Profile.

You can then see if this behavior continues with the newly created profile.
If it doesn't,
then it was something within the Old profile,
which was causing the issue.