It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: scale a path or a selection (solved)
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Maybe a silly question, but is there a gimp function to "scale" a selection or a path?
Like an image or a layer...
Thanks

Edit: found (scale tool, keep aspect, transform selection).

I leave the post open for a while in case someone is interested.
I will later delete it.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: scale a path or a selection (solved)
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:18 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Yeah; don't recall who here shared how to scale paths and selections and such but I was appreciative when they showed me how back in the day. Always good to learn something new about the GIMP, Diego. I've been pretty busy with work and such and haven't played as much as I use to; just re-hashing old binges and perfecting a few of them that I left un-perfected back in the day. Regardless, there's a heck of a lot I still don't know how to do in GIMP. My bet is your adventure is not finished with either. :)

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:46 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

dinasset wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Maybe a silly question, but is there a gimp function to "scale" a selection or a path?
Like an image or a layer...
Thanks

Edit: found (scale tool, keep aspect, transform selection).

This is true for all "geometric transform" tools: rotation, shear, perspective, etc... However, since selection and paths are image-wide these tools aren't always very easy to use on the selection/path. Trick: use the "Link" icon on the path and on a matching layer, and apply the transform on the layer, which will be replicated on the path. Typical usage: apply text to a perspective object. Using the Perspective tool on the text layer will make the text blurry. So use Text-to-path to create a path from the text layer, click the link icon on the text layer and the path, and apply the perspective on the text layer. Once done, hide the text layer and use the path (selection+bucket-fill...)

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:41 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

ofnuts, thank you for this answer, it clears quite a lot up for me, it's not always so easy to grasp until I get plain instructions.