It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saving / reloading paths
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.20
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
python-fu-tt-import-path

Tin has created an interesting script to import saved paths with different options concerning the size related to the new destination image used.
https://gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?t=119
My note here is to tell -to those who could be interested in- that paths are sensible to the image dpi.
I discovered this when trying to use that script to import a path onto an image with different dpi (of which I was not aware...).
I saved a path created on a std image (I suppose at 96 dpi, I can't remember), then I tried to use Tin's script to import that path (selection) on a different image and I got a "gigantic" path/selection (you may see the posts on that referenced thread in Gimp-Learn).
This morning I discovered that the image on which I wanted to import the saved path has a 240 dpi. Copying the image and changing the dpi to 100 the problem of the "gigantic" path/selection was solved.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Saving / reloading paths
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:06 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Good detective work!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

Most cases are still taken in account with the "Scale imported paths to fit image" box in the Path import dialog.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:02 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Ofnuts.
The specific options of Tin's script are considering "keeping aspect ratio", while AFAIK the standard "Scale..." adjusts the path to fit both the new width and the new height (unless there is some option also in the std "Scale" which I do not see).
Still interesting, when ratio is not a foundamental aspect.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 3:10 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

I do not know much about tins plugin, does it re-write the svg file?

If you ever do any CAD work then you are used to working in 'real world' sizes and CAD dxf and SVG files are both descriptive, can be text.

You can try and make sense if you look at the exported svg file which describes the vector in real world (inches) terms, which goes against the grain when "Gimp uses pixels" is fired at new users.

This one a 400x400 pix 4" x 4" @ 100 ppi with the path exported as an svg. http://i.imgur.com/yB9Bz6M.jpg

Import the same path into a new image 400x400 pix 2"x 2" @ 200 ppi and the svg still honours the 4" x 4" size. http://i.imgur.com/Us844A8.jpg

Edit the svg to the new canvas size and the path returns to what is expected. http://i.imgur.com/E1LJj0n.jpg

Gimp to the rescue.
You can drag and drop a path, from the path dialogue from one open image to another open image (same procedure as a layer). Gimp will scale accordingly.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:36 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Rich, what Tin does is analyze the width and heigth of the saved path and compare them with the image width and height, allowing the user to apply one of these options:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATIVE_METHOD = 0           #use percentages relative based on image width and height
ABSOLUTE_METHOD = 1          #use absolute pixel positions
KEEP_ASPECT_WIDTH_METHOD = 2 #use percentages relative based on width of image but keep aspect ratio
KEEP_ASPECT_HEIGHT_METHOD = 3 #use percentages relative based on height of image but keep aspect ratio

Unfortunately - at least until now - the procedure doesn't take into consideration the different dpi used when exporting the path (created on a specific image) and when importing it to be applied on a new specific image.
This is what I wanted to tell to other people who could be interested in.

Last edited by dinasset on Tue May 16, 2017 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:23 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

IMPORTANT !
Tin has improved his script to take care of the dpi.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:24 pm  (#8) 
Script Coder

just an updated link since forum has been moved
Import (exported) SVG Path with load methods Script for GIMP