It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: brushes keep resetting
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:20 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.9.5
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: manjaro
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

Everytime i use ctrl-z to undo , the gimp brushes resets back to defaults ,and i have to set the brush size settings back all over again each time, i hate that. Anyone know how to fix it so that the brushes always stay the same sizes after using undo ?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: brushes keep resetting
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:20 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

It shouldn't happen (at least not in 2.8, but I doubt this has changed in 2.9). However, such options are attached to th pointing device, so if you are using a tablet or else and hitting Ctrl-Z makes you change pointing devices, you would see something like this. Using Windows>Dockable dialogs>Device status could confirm this. Otherwise you have a bug to report:)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:46 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

I can not reproduce that ctrl-z effect with the 'buntu ppa Gimp 2.9.5

What can happen is swapping between brushes returns the brush to its 'native' size.

Say you have the standard Hardness(100) brush, native size is 51, resize that to 'some-other-size' Now chose any other brush, go back to Hardness(100) and it is re-set to 51.

AFAIK it is meant to work that way. (edit: ie different to Gimp 2.8.x)

So as ofnuts suggested the problem might involve a graphics tablet. Using my ancient Wacom.

Mouse uses one setup (brush, color etc), tablet uses a different setup. Switching from mouse to tablet, effectively switches brushes, which reset to their native size.

Again, not able to reproduce a ctrl-z effect. Difficult to report a bug which might not be Gimp but a Manjaro (Arch) problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:12 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
I can not reproduce that ctrl-z effect with the 'buntu ppa Gimp 2.9.5

What can happen is swapping between brushes returns the brush to its 'native' size.

Say you have the standard Hardness(100) brush, native size is 51, resize that to 'some-other-size' Now chose any other brush, go back to Hardness(100) and it is re-set to 51.

AFAIK it is meant to work that way. (edit: ie different to Gimp 2.8.x)

So as ofnuts suggested the problem might involve a graphics tablet. Using my ancient Wacom.

Mouse uses one setup (brush, color etc), tablet uses a different setup. Switching from mouse to tablet, effectively switches brushes, which reset to their native size.

Again, not able to reproduce a ctrl-z effect. Difficult to report a bug which might not be Gimp but a Manjaro (Arch) problem.

Yeah well spotted, that's exactly it, it kept on reseting to size 51 every single time i did undo and it made me mad. So i guess the 2.9.5 appimage gave me problems in manjaro and i didnt know how to change pointing devices and stuff like that since i never had to in any other program . but what i did to fix my problem is i deleted manjaro and installed KaOS where the appimage is now working properly. I think appimages still need a lot of work , there are many linuxes but the appimages only work properly in a few , i always encounter some different unique bizarre problem in each linux with appimages, and appimage is supposed to be cross-platform ,idk i guess its very difficult and may never be possible to work in all since each linux varies greatly