It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do i Join two path segments using Path Tool and what is Blue mode?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:20 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
GIMP Experience: New User

I'm reading about Path Tool from the manual. All the kybrd options are quite confusing.

1. If I have 'N' and I want to alter it's shape, as you can see, I've opened it up like a cutlet.. I was wondering, can I join the node on 'N' with the other bits of node-string I have lying around. (I could delete the rubbish - jus asking)

2. More importantly, sometimes, not sure how, I wind up in Blue mode - with a Blue outline to all my letters. This apparently is the curves mode - could someone point me to the docs for it? (similar to gimp-tool-path.html which is the Red mode docs)

I tried entering Blue mode but found it impossible.. every time I zoom click, i get the nice red mode with all the nodes that look like hives.. in blue mode i get one node or two with handles that act weird..

3. Most importantly: I guess there's no way to have the text autofill when you increase the volume of the path? Or SHRINK? How do you REDUCE the volume? It leaves pixels all over that you need to erase one pixel at a time.. eventually..? Any cleaner way?

Attachments:
File comment: blue-mode
Selection_096.png
Selection_096.png [ 52.38 KiB | Viewed 15886 times ]
File comment: join-a-path
Selection_097.png
Selection_097.png [ 50.88 KiB | Viewed 15886 times ]
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do i Join two path segments using Path Tool and what is Blue m
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Blue Mode: the path is visible but not active

Red Mode: the path is visible and active. Click on the path in the paths dialogue to make it active.

You cannot directly fill a path. You need to make a selection from the path, then fill the selection. The pixels within the selection then have their colour changed. Altering the path does not change any pixels.

Here is some info on paths:
https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Working-with-Paths

There are some very useful path tools here:
http://gimp-path-tools.sourceforge.net/tools.shtml

Post subject: Re: How do i Join two path segments using Path Tool and what is Blue m
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:16 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

You can join the end node of a "stroke" with any other end node of a stroke (the same stroke or another). But if course to have end nodes the stroke need to be open.

More info on paths: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Paths-Basics