It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I use Move->'Pick a Path'|'Move the active Path'
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Debian
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

How do I use the Move Tool to move a path? In my wine glass example - I created a Path by clicking on the Path Tool, then placed some control points along the stem of the glass - closed the loop and hit Enter.
I got the path dotted line thing (not moving ants). Then I went to the Move tool, fully expecting to 'Pick a Path' or 'Move the active Path' but I cannot..

(Paths is checked)

Manual has little to say when i searched - it's not doing anything - i have the handles/arc icon - if i click drag i get a solid rectangle outline:
###############################################
If Move is on “Path”
Pick a path That’s the default option. The mouse pointer turns to a small hand when it goes over
a visible path. Then you can move this path by click-and-dragging it (it will be the active path
while moving).
Move the active path Only the current path will be moved. You can change the current path in
the Path Dialog.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
In the first image, I used the Path Tool to select a path but I didn't press enter because the Path Dialog already lists the Path. If I hit enter I get a selection so the Move Tool with 'Paths' checked can't really move that. How can I use the Move Tools - Path options, ever? You don't ever get to interact with a real path ever!
It's mostly a selection we deal with so.. in what context could we use those options?

Attachments:
File comment: path-opportunity
Selection_095.png
Selection_095.png [ 530.29 KiB | Viewed 4870 times ]
File comment: move-a-path
Selection_094.png
Selection_094.png [ 535.67 KiB | Viewed 4876 times ]

Last edited by veek on Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How do I use Move->'Pick a Path'|'Move the active Path'
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:34 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

The dotted thingy is not a path. So see a path, open the Path list (3rd tab, after layer and channel) and click on the eye icon to make it visible. A path is shown as a single continuous line, red or blue depending on status (active or not).

Post subject: Re: How do I use Move->'Pick a Path'|'Move the active Path'
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:09 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

ah great! many thanks - and when you do that 'Move Tool' works.