It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:03 pm

Latest GIMP Scripts & Plug-ins

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python-Fu disappeared from top menu bar (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I recently installed latest G'MIC and also had to 'add' some preferences by way of Edit>Preference>Folders>Plug-ins. And I fear I've screwed up again. I've 'lost' Python-Fu from the top menu bar, also sota chrome and 'create new guide' from the Image menu.
I don't expect miracles, however if anyone has any notion of where I've gone wrong, I sure would appreciate any help / guidance.
Thankyou in advance.

Last edited by RJKD on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python-Fu disappeared from top menu bar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Python-fu in the top menu bar is just an ill-conceived(*) menu location dynamically created when scripts request it during their registration. So you likely didn't lose python-fu support (have you still got a "python-fu" submenu at the bottom of "filters"?

Since you played with Edit>Preference>Folders>Plug-ins you may have just removed the folder that contains these scripts.

(*) why would Joey User care if it's a Python/Scheme/C plugin once it is installed?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

In addition to Ofnuts advice

You probably deleted or renamed the path to the default scripts folder in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Scripts and Plugins

You should have something like this:

An indication of that is all the guides and sota-chrome-logo are script-fu and 'live' in

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts if that is scrambled then no scripts.

There is a reset button to get you back to defaults.

Python-Fu is a different matter, you need plug-in (s) that use that as menu location.

This example: Only one in my Gimp profile folder and I made the menu entry for menu bar.

Check what you have in your gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins. Are the missing plugins in there?
Check the path to the plugins in Preferences. Try the reset button.

edit: Are you using Rod's method and putting various plug-ins in their own folders and adding those in the Preferences. You might have already done a reset and lost them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Guys I'm sorry it's script-fu I've lost. :oops:
I've checked the directory path as outlined by rich2005 and that is all in order. (i think)
I did a reset in Edit -Preferences , both scripts and plug-ins, to no avail.
Here is a screenshot of what comes up when i start Gimp...

Attachments:
Script-fu_missing.jpg
Script-fu_missing.jpg [ 153.29 KiB | Viewed 746 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Which version of Gimp is that? I know you post as Gimp 2.8.14 but that splash is not standard. Version of Gimp and 32 or 64 bit might help.

There is a libwinpthread-1.dll in Gimp bin folder, also a libwinpthread-1.dll in gmic_gimp plugin so there must be a conflict somewhere. Tried all sorts of permutations 32/32 64/32 ...etc and cannot reproduce that error.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Look at the top of the error. "script-fu.exe" is missing or GIMP cannot find it. Its my bet you lost ALL scriptfus. Am i correct? Look for a version of it in the /USER/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder and place it in its own folder and point Edit>Pref>Filters>Plug-ins to it. Restart GIMP. My guess is you downloaded and installed Tux's new script-fu.exe with scrollbars and deleted the one in the PROGRAM directory.

Furthermore if you lost the menu entry Python-Fu that IS a plug-in issue. UNLESS you had only script-fus in that menu list. Which would be highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thankyou for your help and patience. Rod I just chuck anything and the kitchen sink in my splash folder and it all works fine. Your correct (i think) i had deleted the 'lib' folder. Anyway i did a system restore and all's well. It would appear i have to learn the hard way. This winter while I'm not working so much I'm going to take full inventory and follow rich2005's - example, less is more. Someone else said they only install a plug-in when they need to use it, I'll probably also do the same with patterns, brushes and gradients, keeping my directory lean. Thankyou again.