It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Python-Fu disappeared from top menu bar (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:34 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I recently installed latest G'MIC and also had to 'add' some preferences by way of Edit>Preference>Folders>Plug-ins. And I fear I've screwed up again. I've 'lost' Python-Fu from the top menu bar, also sota chrome and 'create new guide' from the Image menu.
I don't expect miracles, however if anyone has any notion of where I've gone wrong, I sure would appreciate any help / guidance.
Thankyou in advance.

Last edited by RJKD on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Python-Fu disappeared from top menu bar
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:23 am  (#2) 
Script Coder

Python-fu in the top menu bar is just an ill-conceived(*) menu location dynamically created when scripts request it during their registration. So you likely didn't lose python-fu support (have you still got a "python-fu" submenu at the bottom of "filters"?

Since you played with Edit>Preference>Folders>Plug-ins you may have just removed the folder that contains these scripts.

(*) why would Joey User care if it's a Python/Scheme/C plugin once it is installed?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:25 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

In addition to Ofnuts advice

You probably deleted or renamed the path to the default scripts folder in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders -> Scripts and Plugins

You should have something like this:

An indication of that is all the guides and sota-chrome-logo are script-fu and 'live' in

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\scripts if that is scrambled then no scripts.

There is a reset button to get you back to defaults.

Python-Fu is a different matter, you need plug-in (s) that use that as menu location.

This example: Only one in my Gimp profile folder and I made the menu entry for menu bar.

Check what you have in your gimp profile C:\Users\your-name\.gimp-2.8\plug-ins. Are the missing plugins in there?
Check the path to the plugins in Preferences. Try the reset button.

edit: Are you using Rod's method and putting various plug-ins in their own folders and adding those in the Preferences. You might have already done a reset and lost them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Guys I'm sorry it's script-fu I've lost. :oops:
I've checked the directory path as outlined by rich2005 and that is all in order. (i think)
I did a reset in Edit -Preferences , both scripts and plug-ins, to no avail.
Here is a screenshot of what comes up when i start Gimp...

Attachments:
Script-fu_missing.jpg
Script-fu_missing.jpg [ 153.29 KiB | Viewed 5380 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:22 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

Which version of Gimp is that? I know you post as Gimp 2.8.14 but that splash is not standard. Version of Gimp and 32 or 64 bit might help.

There is a libwinpthread-1.dll in Gimp bin folder, also a libwinpthread-1.dll in gmic_gimp plugin so there must be a conflict somewhere. Tried all sorts of permutations 32/32 64/32 ...etc and cannot reproduce that error.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:05 am  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Look at the top of the error. "script-fu.exe" is missing or GIMP cannot find it. Its my bet you lost ALL scriptfus. Am i correct? Look for a version of it in the /USER/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins folder and place it in its own folder and point Edit>Pref>Filters>Plug-ins to it. Restart GIMP. My guess is you downloaded and installed Tux's new script-fu.exe with scrollbars and deleted the one in the PROGRAM directory.

Furthermore if you lost the menu entry Python-Fu that IS a plug-in issue. UNLESS you had only script-fus in that menu list. Which would be highly unlikely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:15 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Thankyou for your help and patience. Rod I just chuck anything and the kitchen sink in my splash folder and it all works fine. Your correct (i think) i had deleted the 'lib' folder. Anyway i did a system restore and all's well. It would appear i have to learn the hard way. This winter while I'm not working so much I'm going to take full inventory and follow rich2005's - example, less is more. Someone else said they only install a plug-in when they need to use it, I'll probably also do the same with patterns, brushes and gradients, keeping my directory lean. Thankyou again.

Post subject: Re: Python-Fu disappeared from top menu bar (SOLVED)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:48 am  (#8) 

Since this is the only post I could find referencing Python-Fu not showing up, I just wanted to add a little info related to creating a truly portable installation of GIMP without using the PortableApps launcher for windows.

If you are trying to:
* salvage a previous GIMP install and settings
* move a GIMP install and settings
* restore GIMP settings after a reformat / reinstall of Windows with GIMP on a separate partition

... then this info may be for you.

Trying to copy the GIMP folder to another computer, or installing GIMP to a separate partition and doing a reformat / reinstall of Windows, will normally result in the "Python-Fu" submenu, and thus the Python-Fu console and all Python scripts, not being available.

This assumes you did a "Full Installation" for your initial installation before trying to move/copy/reinstate the GIMP folder.

The one file that you have to edit is here:
..\GIMP\lib\gimp\2.0\interpreters\pygimp.interp

This file specifies 3 entries related to the EXE that runs gimp-python on windows. You must edit this file to point to your GIMP installation for all 3 settings. I've tried using $(gimp_vars) and they don't work. I've also tried using "..\" which also doesn't work. The paths must be fully typed out.

Other than that, just backup your AppData\Roaming\GIMP folder before doing a reformat, or as you move/copy the GIMP folder to another computer, and you should be able to get GIMP up and running.

This doesn't take care of file associations though. That's a separate issue. I'm afraid that issue deserves a whole separate thread because it's a bit in-depth.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Hi TheArkive.

You mentioned creating a truly portable installation of GIMP without using the PortableApps launcher for windows.

For me it's the only solution.
Why?
The gimp.org version supports (it comes with plugins) both 32 and 64 bit but will always create a directory on the C drive (c: \ Users \ ... Yor Name ... \ AppData \ Roaming \ GIMP \ 2.10 \).
The Portable Samj version supports either 32 or 64 bit interchangeably.
The Portable Partha version only supports 64bit.
The PortableApps version, not very popular in this forum, supports 32 and 64 bit. The only problem is the late availability of the latest version of Gimp.
But this is not a problem - on the older version I am building a new one based on Samj builds (best for me) and from the Parth version only Python 64bit MSC is added. From time to time I compile Gimp myself.

I need this solution (all in one) mainly for PSPI plugins (8bf - only 32bit) and older plugins (eg Sharp) which due to lack of source code I can't compile for 64bit.

Slava
Ukraini!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 am  (#10) 

Why?

Because I usually get my GIMP updates from the main GIMP site, and that distribution doesn't do a portable install. Although, the only thing remaining for me to make that distribution a portable install is editing that one file I listed in my previous post. I usually backup AppData regularly.

I'm not actually familiar with those other portable versions. I just came across this forum and GIMP Learn today. I've searched for "Portable GIMP" before but usually I only see the PortableApps version, not those other versions. Thanks for sharing, I'll check them out.

I'm not used to compiling software yet. I have an installation of Cygwin that I plan to experiment with soon (ish).

EDIT: I also am not fond of using a launcher process to launch the main EXE. For automation, I like the EXE I run to be the only EXE, that way I don't have to do magic to find the process ID, again for automation.

I haven't done any major automation for GIMP yet, mainly because of trying to find a portable install I could get used to working with.