It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recoloring and Gradients
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:06 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

I want to do recolors for gaiaonline items. I found a guide to do it, but its for photoshop.

I'm new to gimp, so I'm not sure how this would translate. Could anyone translate this to me with how to do it in gimp? Please and thank you very much!

Here is the original guide for photoshop

Start by selecting the colour block you want to change. Magic Wand (W) is your friend here so you don't have to do it by hand. Change the tolerance setting depending how similar your colours are to each other. For example, with items that have white and cream together, you want a low tolerance so you pick out only one or the other.

From your Adjustments tab, select the Gradient Map. Alternatively, go through your menu bar: Layer > New Adjustment Layer > Gradient Map. From the Properties Tab, double click on the gradient to open the Gradient Editor. This is where all the magic happens.

Experiment with the colour sliders to get a feel for how the colours change. If you want to get the perfect colour range, find the point on the gradient where you make the whole area one colour – from the left, that's the darkest point; from the right, that's your lightest point. This is the range you're working in. Change the slider colours to your new preferred colours.

Repeat the steps for the rest of the poses. As you go through, you may find that the contrast isn't quite what you want. This is where I find having a mid-point shade between the darkest and main shade so useful. You can move that point around to control your contrast. On top of that, the dots between the sliders control your midway transition point. Having 3 control points beats 1 any day, especially if you're like me and pedantic about your contrast.

Once you've gotten a handle of basic recolouring, you can start going crazy with more complex patterns.

Sherbert + starry
Make your item off-white.
Create a rainbow gradient on a new layer above (create a preset sherbert gradient. Use the brightest shade of each colour, I have them spaced at 14% intervals, last colour should be same as the first – very helpful when you're making radial gradients and you end up with a perfect circle).
Mask the gradient to the section you're adjusting, change layer setting to multiply. I then play around with the smudge tool to have the gradient move with the texture of the item.
Render noise on your mask and tada, off-white star pattern overlay. You can play around with your noise however you want (blurs can create bigger stars, levels adjustments to bring out some stars and fade off others).

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Recoloring and Gradients
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Your post is missing the information needed to answer the question.

Yes, there is a Gradient Map function in Gimp.
Its under Colours -> Map -> Gradient Map.

Photoshops gradient map is vector technology and can be switchd on and off, without changing the original image.
Gimp however is a raster editor and a gradient map cannot be switched on or off or live edited.

Im not sure if Gimp's gradient map is the best tool for recolouring.
What i need to know is what are the gaiaonline images ?
Are they pixel art, as in the gifs ? Or do they look pixelated because the images you posted are animated gifs ?

Post an example of a gaiaonline image you wish to recolour !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

They are pixels. Previously I have been recoloring by going in and coloring them pixel by pixel. I'm hoping to find a way that is much simpler.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Everything on your monitor is made of pixels.

I was asking about pixel art. Thats a different things.
Its when images are made blocky on puropose so they look like an old videogame.

So can you post an image you want to recolour ?