It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I recreate this cloth using filters?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:47 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
Lighting effects
HSV noise
Gaussian blur
Bump Map

Hi everyone,

I want to get better at using GIMP's default filters, so I'm trying to recreate a dress texture from a photo using filters and apply it to a manga artwork.

This is the cloth texture I'm trying to recreate. Instead of the floral pattern I could use a simple checkerboard pattern or whatever, because I'm more interested in how to recreate the gold and silver threads, which I assume can be created using noise, motion blur, bump mapping and an environment map.

This is the manga artwork. I want to replace the blue dress texture with a generated dress pattern similar to the picture above.

This is how far I got now. I used the blending mode Color for the texture, which makes the gold and silver become dull. Also I didn't manage to recreate the thread texture for the gold and silver parts.

Here are my questions:
- What does the environment map option do? Can I approximate its workings by imagining the bump map as a reflective 3D model, the environment as a sphere around that model textured with the environment image and the result as the reflections of the textured sphere on the bump map model? Would I even need something so complex for simple gold and silver threads?
- What blending mode can I use to combine the shininess and shadings of the stockings and dress with my new texture, without making the gold and silver threads become dull?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: How can I recreate this cloth using filters?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 am  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Satin texture with displacement mapping.

My texture (very tiny).

Attachment:
satin.png
satin.png [ 112 Bytes | Viewed 3516 times ]

ran displacement mapping with your original and set the result to 50% opacity and Grain Merged on top of your original. Too lazy to mask out just the specifics, but you can get the gist. :)

Attachments:
5728_gimp_original.jpg
5728_gimp_original.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 3516 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:18 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

If curious, this was the result of 2x by 1y displacement mapping. :)

Attachments:
5728_gimp_originalsd.jpg
5728_gimp_originalsd.jpg [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 3515 times ]

Psalm 109:8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:02 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Displacement map is usually what I use applying textures heres a vid showing similar process. https://youtu.be/FpYwxPE9J54
Yet with a flatly colored anime type image wrap around effect may be minimum, if your an artist yourself then creating a seperate greyscale reference layer with stronger shaded and highlighted areas for displacement of texture may help give more depth to texture wrapping. also having proper blending mode layer on top for highlights might add to satin's sheen look. again given flat like color of artwork areas of sheen are not as defined making it difficult for any filter to give complete satin look.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:15 am  (#5) 

Thanks lylejk and Heroik. I'll definitely try to incorporate a separate layer for highlights, and using a mini displacement map to render the stockings mesh is an interesting idea, too :-D Although my biggest problem still is trying to recreate the shiny gold and silver threads, whatever I try always looks too regular and not shiny and bumpy enough.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Not bumpy enough quick surfing of forums led me to Embroidery Stitcher V-1.0 script.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4860
might help with stitching thread look. as far as sparkle perhaps another layer with Embroidery Stitcher V-1.0 top with less design in desired spots using sparkle filter or dodge blending mode which alot of artist use to simulate fake oil shine or sweat on skin. (caution example contains scantily clad painting of women).http://www.henningludvigsen.com/tutoria ... oily-skin/
Shine method seems similar to thread shine and possibly could be adapted for such.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:47 am  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Heroik: Fascinating link - hours of reading here even for those of us who don't draw or paint.

"Let no one steal your dreams."
Paul Cookson

Latest plug-in update: Paragrapher v.1.4
Custom Font Links
Tools
Character Paths
White Bases

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 pm  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Start with different layers for each colour/material. Each will need different manipulation. eg bumping etc. There are scripts for plastic, glass etc. You may be able to ask one of our coders for a specific script to do your threads.

The embroidery script is a good one but I would still keep your layers separate until you have done what you want.

After you have got your material the way you want you need to 'map' it to your dress - Keep in mind what Lyle said about displacing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am  (#9) 

I checked the Embroidery script that Heroik mentioned and saw that it's just a combination of the Spread and Neon filters, so I did something similar and used correlated RGB noise maxed out, Motion Blur at 45 degrees and then Neon, which I think gives nice results. I used the Softglow filter to add shine for now.

Here's a quick prototype I made. As a next step I'll clean it up, organize into layers and try to add displacements. I think I've misunderstood Lyle's very short explanation? I thought that he was just moving the pixels into a grid pattern, so it looks like a stockings mesh, but it's actually to map the material to the dress, right? Could Lyle or anyone else please explain that to me?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:28 pm  (#10) 
Global Moderator

Nice going Ruby :)
Here is the manual page on displacing https://docs.gimp.org/en/plug-in-displace.html
One of our moderators has a video tut that may help you.
www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

I've got to learn to do this myself :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:59 am  (#11) 
Global Moderator

That is very cool Ruby.