It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Text Editor - moving an arrow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:27 pm  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: Basic Level

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
arrow.scm

Hi my esteemed mates,

I’m trying to accomplish 2 tasks.

One I’ve created an arrow (using the arrow.scm listed in the drop-down menu under Tools) and it’s all situated. Next, I tried to add text by clicking on the Capital A - Text Editor which appears with the translucent box to type in. The default font is Sans 18 which appears microscopic in this jpg once I start typing in the translucent box.

I’ve right clicked on the box displaying Sans but in that drop down menu there is no choice listings for other font styles. I’ve clicked all over the jpg trying to find a font style section option but none appears.

I also wanted to increase the font size. I clicked on the box appearing with the number 18 and change that to 53 but when I place the mouse cursor back in that Text Editor box the number reverts back to the default of 18.

There are 2 other small boxes below that box with 18 in it. I can change those numbers but when I type in text in that translucent box the font size remains microscopic.

How do I change the font style and the font size so the characters appear larger in that translucent box (Text Editor Box?)?

Also, once I have that text box with the correct font style and size, is there a way to move the arrow to the lower left of the box closer to the object its pointing to in the jpg photo?

When I click on the arrow, the Text Editor keeps reappearing. I just want to move that arrow a little down further in the photo. Must I remove the arrow and start all over?

Thank you!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Text Editor - moving an arrow
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:42 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Hmm... not sure if the reason the text box is always popping up is because you are still have the Text tool active or what but if you want to change the font and the size...
the font can be changed by clicking on the little "Aa" box.. (sorry about off-putting garish colour..ahem)

If you want to change the size of the text then simply highlight the text you need to resize, and whilst it's highlighted change the size with the text tool there... hope that's some help..(?)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:49 pm  (#3) 
Global Moderator

When moving (using the move tool) you have three options in the tool options box. Make sure the correct one is selected
:layer Layer - Pick a Layer or guide; or Move the active layer
:select Selection - Move Selection
:path Path - pick a path; or Move the active path.

Text (if not merged down) is still on a layer of it's own and can be moved as a layer or selection and if you choose to change it to a path (text to path) you can also move it that way.

Where Zero told you that you can change your font make sure you put your size in there - then the size will change in the other box. If you know the name of the font you want you can type it in your smaller editor but you will need to highlight your text that you want changed.
If you do not know what size you need your text there are black arrows (up & down) underneath to the right of the Aa box
There you can make it larger or smaller. No need to highlight your text if using this; but if you use the small toolbox that goes near your text box or the text editor Zero is correct, you must. You can also change your text spacing and alignment as well here

The are two ways you can edit plain text after you originally type it out.
If you type it out all at once in the text box and change the font and size it will all change.
If you do the same but only highlight the parts you want changed in either the small editor or text editor. You can have many different fonts, sizes and colour in on block of text if you wish.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:05 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Zero01,

Thank you so much for sharing that graphic.

I don’t see the font info down on the lower left you see when GIMP is open.

Is there a particular setting in View, etc. I need to checkmark to see that font info?

Thanks again.

Zero01 wrote:
Hmm... not sure if the reason the text box is always popping up is because you are still have the Text tool active or what but if you want to change the font and the size...
the font can be changed by clicking on the little "Aa" box.. (sorry about off-putting garish colour..ahem)
[ Image ]

If you want to change the size of the text then simply highlight the text you need to resize, and whilst it's highlighted change the size with the text tool there... hope that's some help..(?)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:53 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

OK.
It's a standard feature, maybe you need to enable it by clicking on the menu bar.. Windows>Tool Options.. and it should appear (somewhere!) but usually in the following place.

Viz.: