It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unable to Save files with Window Manager!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:20 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Mac OS
OS Version: 10.10.1
GIMP Experience: New User

Hello,

Since I haven't taken time to introduce myself, I will just say thanks for having me as a member. There look to be really inspiring threads in this forum; all the animation and frame topics that lead to video. This is, however, a troubleshooting post.

My "Save As Window" does not allow me to type in it without activating hotkeys from the Toolbox.

I have tried closing the Toolbox, and switching the "Activate Window Focusing" on and off. I have also updated GIMP with the most recent version.

Solutions? Is using hosting Linux on my mac OS more reliable? I am hoping that there may be finese to this that makes saving my work easier! I primarily work with SVG files, using GIMP to set paths to my artwork. It is a very fun, yet precarious process.

*Similar problem from a dead forum- I can't give a link to it...

Thanks!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Unable to Save files with Window Manager!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:43 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

If you want to save a file in anything other than gimp's native file extension (xcf), I advise you to 'export' it as, Then you will be able to type in most anything you want. Many file extensions (for images) are accepted.Image This is only part of you export as window and you will get another small 'pop up' to export too.
If this was your problem let me know. If not I am sorry. I have also put a 'windows' version picture up, hoping it's not that much different. I will have a look if there is another topic on this for Mac

Oh and once you have made 5 posts you can post links etc.

Welcome to Gimp Chat :)

If no one can help you here, try this place https://www.gimp-forum.net/index.php

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:45 am  (#3) 
Script Coder

IIRC this is/was a know problem with OSX and has been fixed in later versions. Current Gimp is 2.8.22. 2.8.14 is over three years old.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:43 pm  (#4) 

Hello,

Yes, my problem was with the pop up window but I will see if the actions behave differently using the export option. Regarding versions, I didn't write down the correct one. It's 2.8.4., which may be a beta version, if 2.8.22. is recommended.

Now, I'll try exporting (please wait)...

Attachment:
File comment: window behavior
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 11.32.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-23 at 11.32.31 AM.png [ 181.61 KiB | Viewed 1822 times ]

Still the same problem, Save As or Export... options. I placed the toolbox over the window just for the screenshot to give more context.

I will try downloading GIMP 2.8.22 instead of 2.8.4. Perhaps that's a more sophisticated version? Please accept my meta-linguistic plights of exaltation in respect to the future, if this does not work...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:41 pm  (#5) 
Script Coder

Not a much more sophisticated version, but has some bugs removed (IIRC your problem popped up with whatever version of OS/X that became available in circa 2014 (could be Mavericks)).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:43 pm  (#6) 

well, i believe it solved my issue.