It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gimp euivalent to the 'place' tool in photoshop
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:06 pm  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Does Gimp has an equivalent to the 'place' tool in Photoshop? if yes, how do I access it?

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Gimp euivalent to the 'place' tool in photoshop
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:14 pm  (#2) 
Script Coder

What is the Place tool?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:20 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I've done a photoshop documentation search and can not find anything in regard to a "place tool".

The image below shows all the available photoshop tools.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:26 pm  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

As Curley (Three stoogers) says..... "If there's no place around this place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon". Nuck, nuck, nuck.... :hehe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:37 pm  (#5) 
Administrator

racer-x wrote:
As Curley (Three stoogers) says..... "If there's no place around this place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon". Nuck, nuck, nuck.... :hehe

:rofl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:22 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Perhaps the following from Photoshop User Guide may be helpful in addressing this question ??

Place files-

The Place command adds a photo, art, or any Photoshop-supported file as a Smart Object to your document. Smart Objects can be scaled, positioned, skewed, rotated, or warped without degrading the image.

1-Open the Photoshop document that is the destination for the placed art or photo.

2-Do one of the following:

A)(Photoshop) Choose File > Place, select the file you want to place, and click Place.

B) (Bridge) Select the file and choose File > Place > In Photoshop.

Further instructions may be accessed at-

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... files.html

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:28 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Mainah_Ayuh wrote:
Perhaps the following from Photoshop User Guide may be helpful in addressing this question ??

Place files-

The Place command adds a photo, art, or any Photoshop-supported file as a Smart Object to your document. Smart Objects can be scaled, positioned, skewed, rotated, or warped without degrading the image.

1-Open the Photoshop document that is the destination for the placed art or photo.

2-Do one of the following:

A)(Photoshop) Choose File > Place, select the file you want to place, and click Place.

B) (Bridge) Select the file and choose File > Place > In Photoshop.

Further instructions may be accessed at-

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using ... files.html

There is no equivalent to this in GIMP and this is also not an available "tool" within photoshop.
It seems to be,
more in the line of some type of import function then a tool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:24 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

I don't know, drag and drop or copy and paste into a new layer would give the same results as that explanation. Doesn't seem like much of a feature to me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:41 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

racer-x wrote:
I don't know,
drag and drop or copy and paste into a new layer would give the same results as that explanation.
Doesn't seem like much of a feature to me.

I'm guessing the "feature",
would be Smart Object.

Which can be done in GIMP using a Layer Mask.
To basically accomplish the same thing,
i.e. nondestructive editing.

However,
I don't see where a "Place tool" would help in doing this,
if there is such a thing.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:03 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

A smart object is a feature in Photoshop that lets you change the effects of filters.
Its another option for non destructive editing.
For example Gaussian Blur is a destructive filter in PS, however, when you convert your image into a smart object, you can go back and change the radius of the Blur whenever you want.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:36 am  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

Whenever I use a filter like Gaussian Blur, I first duplicate the layer and apply the filter to the top layer. I then use the opacity slider to fine-tune the amount of filter I want.

There is only one PS tool I miss and that's the crop tool. Of all the image editors I've tried, non have a crop tool as good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 pm  (#12) 

Konstantin wrote:
A smart object is a feature in Photoshop that lets you change the effects of filters.
Its another option for non destructive editing.
For example Gaussian Blur is a destructive filter in PS, however, when you convert your image into a smart object, you can go back and change the radius of the Blur whenever you want.

Smart Object definitely enables you to apply nondestructive filtering in Photoshop, and it is their workaround to not being able to have Krita-esque/Affinity Photo-esque filter mask. Both of these programs enables you to apply filter masks to layers which can be blur, dodge, burn, guassian blur, noise, unsharp, and so on. In Photoshop, without Smart Object, there is no way to apply a filter mask to layers. Smart Object is another workaround to not having instanced layers which Krita has, and maybe Affinity Photo. And also, you are on point on what is nondestructive editing.

racer-x wrote:
Whenever I use a filter like Gaussian Blur, I first duplicate the layer and apply the filter to the top layer. I then use the opacity slider to fine-tune the amount of filter I want.

There is only one PS tool I miss and that's the crop tool. Of all the image editors I've tried, non have a crop tool as good.

That's a workaround, but you are only affecting opacity of the filtered layer, but you aren't changing variables. If you want to reduce from 1000 px blur to 5 px blur, you have to blur again with more clicks than if you were to have filter layer/filter mask.

As for the title of the thread, place tool closest equivalent would be 'import as layer', but it's not quite the same thing. In Photoshop, you can go to the placed layer, and edit it within another window, and make changes back again. So, you will have to make changes within GIMP.