It is currently Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just general questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:12 am  (#1) 

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Ok so I'm trying to turn my line art into a digital painting, I scanned it and followed a tutorial to erase the color from it. The sketch I did needs some added to it but every time I try to make the background layer larger to do that it doesn't change. It's like the size is selected, there is a dotted line around it and everything that I can't get rid of I try to go to select-select none and nothing changes. I want to center the piece so i can work on a background for it later and I also can't just move my line art over to center it myself. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Just general questions
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:38 pm  (#2) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
Reinsmommy wrote:
GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Windows
GIMP Experience: New User

Ok so I'm trying to turn my line art into a digital painting, I scanned it and followed a tutorial to erase the color from it. The sketch I did needs some added to it but every time I try to make the background layer larger to do that it doesn't change. It's like the size is selected, there is a dotted line around it and everything that I can't get rid of I try to go to select-select none and nothing changes. I want to center the piece so i can work on a background for it later and I also can't just move my line art over to center it myself. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks for any help.

If you're using the Scale Tool,
to make the background layer larger.

Once you have scaled the layer,
to the size you want.

Go to Image>Fit Canvas to Layers

Once you click on Fit Canvas to Layers.
It should expand to the size it was scaled to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:44 pm  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

Hi Reinsmommy. The artists and the experts here are pretty great, and to help you more accurately, if you can, provide us with a little more info. You can upload an image of what you're trying to explain, It will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am  (#4) 

Thank you so much that worked perfectly! My niece and I are both artists, when my dog Eevon passed away in December of 2017 she drew a picture for me. Recently my other dog Rein passed and her chihuahua passed. I wanted to make her a picture she could hang up to remember her girl Cookie and I'm very versed on photoshop but not gimp. The tools seem to be about the same but I guess you go about things a different way. What I'd like to do is darken up my line art, make some nice fur, a nice soft bed texture and some embroidery where the name and dates are.

Attachments:
Scan0001.jpg
Scan0001.jpg [ 335.52 KiB | Viewed 4122 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:59 am  (#5) 
Global Moderator

If you have the GMIC plugin for gimp try these (to darken up your line art)
Under artistic
Graphic Novel
Graphic Boost
Illustration look
Water Color
or under Black and white
Engrave
Stamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:28 am  (#6) 

Good day guys, Is there a way to keep the Color Wheel open? I need it because the color picking window closes every time I pick my new color. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:12 pm  (#7) 
GimpChat Member

Calvin wrote:
Good day guys, Is there a way to keep the Color Wheel open? I need it because the color picking window closes every time I pick my new color. Thanks!

Yes there is and it's quite simple. The window closes only if you click OK, and you don't have to do that to change color.
Just pick your color from the wheel, palette or html notation history list and continue working on your canvas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:38 pm  (#8) 

Nidhogg wrote:
Calvin wrote:

Yes there is and it's quite simple. The window closes only if you click OK, and you don't have to do that to change color.
Just pick your color from the wheel, palette or html notation history list and continue working on your canvas.

[ Image ]

Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:09 pm  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Calvin wrote:

You can add it as a dock.

Windows -> Dockable Dialogues -> Colors

Attachment:
color-dock.jpg
color-dock.jpg [ 34.92 KiB | Viewed 3633 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:30 am  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Reinsmommy wrote:
What I'd like to do is darken up my line art, make some nice fur, a nice soft bed texture and some embroidery where the name and dates are.

To darken the lines: Filter, Artistic, Softglow ... then Filter, Artistic, Cartoon ... will make the background very white and your lines very black.

To add textures I use layers underneath the main image and cut out the parts where I want it to show through. You can edit them without disturbing the bklack lines on top. Also, you can add translucent layers by adjusting the opacity.