It is currently Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why is my red blotchy and another's smooth?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:56 am  (#1) 
GimpChat Member

GIMP Version: 2.8.14
Operating System: Linux
OS Version: Xubuntu
GIMP Experience: Intermediate Level

Hey Gimpers. This screenshot is from Amazon.com (from the same page). My book is "Rise..." See all the splotchiness (around the images), while the other guy's cover is smooth and uniform. I made my cover in GIMP 2.8. Did I do something wrong that my (red) color looks so splotchy? Can I do something to get it smooth and uniform like the other cover? Thanks.Image

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Why is my red blotchy and another's smooth?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 pm  (#2) 
GimpChat Member

Sorry, but I can't see your image?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:28 pm  (#3) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
iggy wrote:

Hey Gimpers. This screenshot is from Amazon.com (from the same page). My book is "Rise..." See all the splotchiness (around the images), while the other guy's cover is smooth and uniform. I made my cover in GIMP 2.8. Did I do something wrong that my (red) color looks so splotchy? Can I do something to get it smooth and uniform like the other cover? Thanks.[ Image ]

It may help if you added drop-shadows behind everything.
The drop-shadow should have little to no blur to it.
Basically what you need, is a contrasting outline around everything.
Also it would help, if the lettering were a bit larger or a wider font used.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:20 am  (#4) 
GimpChat Member

I sort of remembered where the image came from

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16164#p224262

...and the image there was very small for a book cover only 200x302 pix, although print resolution set to 300 as if for sending to a printer.

The background there is fine.

What happened in the meantime? Only iggy can answer that.

Looks as if it has been re-exported as a low quality jpeg many times, but even then difficult to scramble the background like that.

More information on procedure sending to Amazon needed. Could be Amazon used the print resolution and created a thumbnail from a tiny 17mm x 25mm image.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:38 pm  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

atlanta43 wrote:
Sorry, but I can't see your image?

Sorry, atlanta. Hopefully you can see it now. (I can see it.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:35 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

Wallace wrote:
iggy wrote:

Hey Gimpers. This screenshot is from Amazon.com (from the same page). My book is "Rise..." See all the splotchiness (around the images), while the other guy's cover is smooth and uniform. I made my cover in GIMP 2.8. Did I do something wrong that my (red) color looks so splotchy? Can I do something to get it smooth and uniform like the other cover? Thanks.[ Image ]

Thanks Wallace. I added the dropshadows to the .xcf and reduced it to 150X226. One I did with one pixel drop shadow, the other with five. Do you think the one is enough? I also left unchecked the "allow resizing" box--is that all right?

I just checked them against the original post and they look so much better, but I'm going to post what a 150X226 looks like without the dropshadow to rule out that it might just be Amazon's version that is splotchy.

Yeah, the one with no dropshadow doesn't look splotchy.

It's just on Amazon and just on the thumbnail that the problem happens. (When I look at the thumbnail on GIMP or anywhere else it looks fine. I had a red cover on Amazon that was splotchy in the thumbnail before. I even contacted Amazon and they gave me some kind of a runaround that it was my file that was the problem.) I will try the dropshadow though and see what happens. But yeah, if you could let me know if you think the one px dropshadow is sufficient or if not, what you think might be optimal. Thanks.

Attachments:
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETENoDropshadow.jpg
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETENoDropshadow.jpg [ 42.08 KiB | Viewed 2786 times ]
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETE150x226FivePx.jpg
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETE150x226FivePx.jpg [ 43.22 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETE150x226OnePx.jpg
RiseFinalDELETEDELETEDELETE150x226OnePx.jpg [ 42.71 KiB | Viewed 2787 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:54 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

iggy wrote:
Wallace wrote:
iggy wrote:

Thanks Wallace. I added the dropshadows to the .xcf and reduced it to 150X226. One I did with one pixel drop shadow, the other with five. Do you think the one is enough? I also left unchecked the "allow resizing" box--is that all right?

It's very hard for me to tell,
that there's any drop-shadow at all.
Also,
the yellow text is very close together.
It almost looks as if each letter is blending with each other.
Perhaps more separation is needed between each letter of the text,
along with a more prominent drop-shadow added,
with little to no blur.
Some of the other text (Gray text at top),
would also benefit from being made larger,
with more separation between the letters and a drop shadow added,
as described above.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:00 pm  (#8) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
I sort of remembered where the image came from

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16164#p224262

...and the image there was very small for a book cover only 200x302 pix, although print resolution set to 300 as if for sending to a printer.

The background there is fine.

What happened in the meantime? Only iggy can answer that.

Looks as if it has been re-exported as a low quality jpeg many times, but even then difficult to scramble the background like that.

More information on procedure sending to Amazon needed. Could be Amazon used the print resolution and created a thumbnail from a tiny 17mm x 25mm image.

Hi Rich. Thanks. Everyone says to upload 300 resolution covers to Kindle Direct Publishing. So was I supposed to lower the resolution for the 200X302 you referred to? And anyway, once Amazon has a cover (and I submit a 1838X2775 .jpg), I have no say about resizing. (Kindle Direct Publishing does accept .png files. But I always think .jpgs are more flexible for re-sizing. Think it might be better to submit a .png?) And I was very careful about not over-resizing or over-exporting when I made the file. I have seen problems with red in other Amazon thumbnails. I really do think the problem is on their end. But I'll try Wallace's dropshadow suggestion and see if that helps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:07 am  (#9) 
GimpChat Member

Quote:
Everyone says to upload 300 resolution covers to Kindle Direct Publishing. So was I supposed to lower the resolution for the 200X302 you referred to? And anyway, once Amazon has a cover (and I submit a 1838X2775 .jpg)

I see the blurb on requirements here https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645690 300dpi is correct

For size says To ensure the best quality...the height...at least 2,500 pixels. Ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 x 1,600 pixels so at 1838 x 2775 pix you are ok for height.

Quote:
I have no say about resizing. (Kindle Direct Publishing does accept .png files. But I always think .jpgs are more flexible for re-sizing. Think it might be better to submit a .png?)

You have plenty of scope for exporting
Quote:
..Your cover image must be less than 50MB
File types mentioned are jpeg and tif. An uncompressed tif will be a lot larger than a jpeg maybe about 15 MB but if a png is acceptable, much preferable where text is involved than a jpeg and might be 1.5 MB-ish.

Amazon again For the best results, upload your images with minimal compression A png while compressed is a lossless compression, do not worry about that.

Quote:
And I was very careful about not over-resizing or over-exporting when I made the file. I have seen problems with red in other Amazon thumbnails. I really do think the problem is on their end. But I'll try Wallace's dropshadow suggestion and see if that helps.

Very careful not over-resizing is a dubious policy. Start off with correct size is better ;)

Hope the tweaks work, best of luck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:53 pm  (#10) 
GimpChat Member

Thanks Wallace. Had to answer down here, as I got a message saying I could only embed three quotes. Anyway, I' ll try the dropshadow and upload to Amazon and see what happens. Appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:56 pm  (#11) 
GimpChat Member

rich2005 wrote:
Quote:
Everyone says to upload 300 resolution covers to Kindle Direct Publishing. So was I supposed to lower the resolution for the 200X302 you referred to? And anyway, once Amazon has a cover (and I submit a 1838X2775 .jpg)

I see the blurb on requirements here https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200645690 300dpi is correct

For size says To ensure the best quality...the height...at least 2,500 pixels. Ideal dimensions for cover files are 2,560 x 1,600 pixels so at 1838 x 2775 pix you are ok for height.

Quote:
I have no say about resizing. (Kindle Direct Publishing does accept .png files. But I always think .jpgs are more flexible for re-sizing. Think it might be better to submit a .png?)

You have plenty of scope for exporting
Quote:
..Your cover image must be less than 50MB
File types mentioned are jpeg and tif. An uncompressed tif will be a lot larger than a jpeg maybe about 15 MB but if a png is acceptable, much preferable where text is involved than a jpeg and might be 1.5 MB-ish.

Amazon again For the best results, upload your images with minimal compression A png while compressed is a lossless compression, do not worry about that.

Quote:
And I was very careful about not over-resizing or over-exporting when I made the file. I have seen problems with red in other Amazon thumbnails. I really do think the problem is on their end. But I'll try Wallace's dropshadow suggestion and see if that helps.

Very careful not over-resizing is a dubious policy. Start off with correct size is better ;)

Hope the tweaks work, best of luck

Thanks a lot, Rich. I'm going to try the tweaks and upload a png this time. Appreciate it. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:02 pm  (#12) 
Administrator

iggy wrote:
Thanks Wallace. Had to answer down here,
as I got a message saying I could only embed three quotes.
Anyway, I' ll try the dropshadow and upload to Amazon and see what happens.
Appreciate it. :)

No problem.
:bigthup