It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brushes - help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:23 am  (#1) 
Global Moderator

GIMP Version: 2.10.22
Operating System: Windows
OS Version: 64 bit Home
GIMP Experience: New User

List any relevant plug-ins or scripts:
NA

List any ERROR messages you received:
NA

Have run into this problem before when I tried to categorise brushes. This time I didn't do it, They came categorised with the newest version I have. I clicked on one today because I noticed I am missing a few from my collection.
I clicked on one and cannot get back to what I had or even change it to another category.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Orkut Share on Digg Share on MySpace Share on Delicious Share on Technorati
 Post subject: Re: Brushes - help
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:15 am  (#2) 
Global Moderator

got it back to how it was - deleted that tab and added another brush tab. Still got to find out where all my other brushes went.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:54 am  (#3) 
GimpChat Member

In the first post, you have loads of tags in the filter field so the dialog is showing you only brushes that have all those tags which is just the Pepper. I'm surprised any brush has that many tags.

To display all the brushes again I'd treble click in the filter field (1) to highlight all and then hit the delete key.

Another way is to click on the down arrow (2) and then click on each of the selected tags one at a time to turn it off.

This just affects what brushes are displayed in the brush dialog. The brushes will still have all the same tags as before.

The enter tags field usually shows what tags the current brush has but the (None) looks like you haven't got a brush selected so I don't know why so many there, did you enter them?

Attachment:
brushes22.jpg
brushes22.jpg [ 28.9 KiB | Viewed 1804 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:21 am  (#4) 
Global Moderator

No I didn't enter them teapot which is why I assumed they must have come categorised with gimp. Thanks for the reply. Showed up on me again today so I just deleted that brush tab. If it shows again tomorrow I will follow through with what you said.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 am  (#5) 
GimpChat Member

The tag settings are help in the file C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\tags.xml Delete that and Gimp reverts to defaults. It will write a new file when required. Delete, restart Gimp.

The tags that you see, Basic - Fun - Media etc come from the folder name containing the brush. That also applies to your own brushes, if you put them into folders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:24 pm  (#6) 
GimpChat Member

teapot wrote:
The enter tags field usually shows what tags the current brush has but the (None) looks like you haven't got a brush selected so I don't know why so many there, did you enter them?

sallyanne wrote:
No I didn't enter them teapot which is why I assumed they must have come categorised with gimp. Thanks for the reply. Showed up on me again today so I just deleted that brush tab. If it shows again tomorrow I will follow through with what you said.

OK, I see now that I misunderstood what the (None) near the top of the dialog means.

rich2005 wrote:
The tag settings are help in the file C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\tags.xml Delete that and Gimp reverts to defaults. It will write a new file when required. Delete, restart Gimp.

The tags that you see, Basic - Fun - Media etc come from the folder name containing the brush. That also applies to your own brushes, if you put them into folders.

Thanks for the information Rich. I already organise brushes, gradients etc. into appropriate folders/directories so the tags come from them due to learning from helpful posts you have made before that are much appreciated.

Unfortunately that doesn't work for fonts (at least on the version of gimp I'm running) so I enter those tags by hand but not via the GUI interface, I edit the tags file and keep my own version to revert to so as not to loose my edits. It's not a method I'd recommend though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:47 pm  (#7) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
I made a video about "brush organization" and using the tags dialog/system.
Not sure how helpful this might be.

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:22 am  (#8) 
Global Moderator

Thank you Wallace, will check it out later

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:27 pm  (#9) 
Administrator

Location: Native to NYC living in Arizona, Gimp 2.8 & 2.10, Win 11 PC.
sallyanne wrote:
Thank you Wallace, will check it out later

:bigthup